My Girlfriend Had an Accident With The Escape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Girlfriend Had an Accident With The Escape

She was on her way home from a friends house one night last week and a deer decided to run out in front of her. She slammed the brakes but the rear brakes locked up instead of the front so when she swerved last second to avoid the deer, the escape spun out on her causing her to slide to the ditch where it then rolled over onto its roof

she walked away from it completely unharmed, thank god

here's some pics

I made the mistake of not putting comprehensive insurance on it so the crash was not covered, so since the damage isn't too terrible I decided to fix it up..... there's nothing I can do about the body damage though, but mechanically it survived

so I brought it home :lol:

So far I've popped out the dents in the roof and rear drivers door, got the windows rolling up/down freely again and pulled out the deployed side airbags which i'll replace with ones from a junkyard

It's beat up, but it'll live to see another day

Brings a new meaning to "Built Ford Tough"

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Glad nobody was hurt! For being rolled it took it very well!
    1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
    1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
    2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Comment

Glad to hear she's OK. Vehicles are a lot easier to fix than people!!!

Ian
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Yeah that really doesn't even look bad considering.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Install a manual proportioning valve and adjust it so that the fronts lock a split second before the rear under a panic stop. You can get a LF fender and LR door at the junkyard.
          Last edited by bravekozak; 10-29-2016, 03:18 PM.

Comment

On the quarter panels look for someone who can do PDR then spray some paint on it so it doesnt rust. Its amazing what those guys can do in a short time.
            Comprehensive is really cheap and i have gotten hail claims on every vehicle i have owned except the festiva because it just wont dent. Taking the payout for hail can nearly pay for the vehicle.
            Glad she is ok!
            I have experienced the rear locking up before the front as well, it sucks. Same brand of tires front and back? Same brand/style of brake pads front and rear? If the brake fluid is more than 5 years old it should really be changed. Does it have abs? Did/does it malfunction? I hate early abs and usually disconnect it along with airbags. However i have been impressed with the abs on a couple higher end cars newer than like 2013. Anyway, if all the above stuff is fine and the rear still locks before the front then the quickest and cheapest solution is that manual controlled proportioning valve bravekozak mentioned. Nice thing with them is you can adjust it if need be while towing.
            Perhaps before doing too much to it get a wheel alignment to check for bent axles/suspension/rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've actually heard that 08' escapes with rear drums tend to lock up before the front, apparently it's a common problem so before it sees the road again I'll be putting on rear brakes for sure

Instead of repairing the body I want to embrace the damage, so I'm thinking full brush bar on the front, paint blood splatter across the front and down the drivers side and probably finish it off with a light bar or something..... make it look like a war machine or something lol

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Glad to hear everyone is ok Chris :^)
                Previous owner of 8 festivas... looking for number 9

Adam

Comment

It's amazing that she was able to flip it without breaking any glass! That's a pro maneuver.
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

It held up a lot better than my 06 Ranger did when I rolled it onto it's roof.

I think you have got the right idea with the brush bar and stuff. After we are done with this election next month you might need it anyway...
                    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                    sigpic
                    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Working...
                    X