This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Fix Dead Photobucket Pic Links in Your Threads

Will (w4rkry) has been helping me fix the dead photobucket links my build thread. We've come up with a way to transfer the photobucket pics to Imgur, then get the Imgur links swapped out with the old photobucket links.

To start, open two separate windows, one with the topic you want fixed and one with Imgur, and arrange them side by side. Click on the dead photobucket picture to open it up in photobucket (you'll need to be logged in to PB).

Once open in photobucket, click the zoom icon to open the picture, then drag the picture over to the Imgur page to upload the image to Imgur.

Open the topic you want to fix, then use the "Reply with quote" button to open a reply. This opens a reply box with the complete text and pic links from the post you want to fix. Delete the old/dead links and insert the new Imgur links. Don't forget to also delete the "quote" tags.

To add pic links from imgur to your post, click on the pic you wish to use, click the copy button beside the "bbcode" option so the link is already in the proper formatting for the forum. Paste the link into your post in place of the photobucket links.

Once you have finished editing the post, copy/paste it over to a private message to Will (w4rkry). This way all Will has to do is copy/paste the complete post when he edits the original post. This saves him a ton of time compared to individually copy/posting each pic link. He has to attempt to fix dead pics on the entire forum... so please do as much as you can to reduce the load on him. It's also a good idea to send him a link to the topic in your first private message so he can easily find the topic.

This will be a bit of work on your end but once you get the hang of it it'll go more quickly. I actually hit the limit of one PM per 60 seconds once I got going, so it can be done quickly once all the pics are transferred.

****Make sure to post the topic title and the post number in the subject for each post you submit for editing.****

The post number is in the upper right hand corner of each post.

Last edited by w4rkry; 07-21-2017, 02:05 PM.
    '88 L- B6d-Sidedraft Dellorto Carbs-G-Series-Advanced Suspension
    '89 L B3-5 speed-A/C-Advanced Suspension

Project Goldilocks '66 C10 Short Fleet BBW Build
    '65 C10 Highly Detailed Stock Restoration Thread
    '55 International Metal/Body/Paint Work
    '66 F100 Full Rotisserie Restoration
    '40 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration
    How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster
    How To Detail Sand Body Panels, Edges, Corners

Thank you very much for this Write-up John!

Anyone reading this that needs help, Please send me a PM so we can get started on the Recovery Process!

If you need any help or Clarification for How to do any of these Steps or how to navigate Imgur, do not hesitate to ask. I'm Here to Help!

Feel free to PM here or on Facebook messenger anytime
    Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
    Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
    Feel free to PM me anytime!
    Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
    Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Is there a setting on the forum where editing can be turned on so members can edit their own posts to save Will all that work? On other forums I'm on, I can edit my posts that are several years old.
      Rick
      1993 Ford Festiva
      1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
      1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
      2000 Ford E350

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
        Is there a setting on the forum where editing can be turned on so members can edit their own posts to save Will all that work? On other forums I'm on, I can edit my posts that are several years old.
        This would be fantastic.
        Also will, are you willing to give out your email adress or create a new one for us to send this to? Your inbox here will fill up fast as will mine, i have a hard time keeping it empty enough.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

As a Mod, I can have a lot more messages than a Standard User

Feel free to email me anyway, its pretty easy, w4rkry@gmail.com

While it may be Technically possible for the Admins to enable editing, there is a reason it was limited to 30 Minutes, and I think the intention is to keep it that way for now. We will keep trying these methods, if a change is required I will certainly bring it to their attention.
          Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

How to find me:

Comment

Another suggestion.... size all your photos so that the longest side is 800 pixels. Makes the picture a good size to see on even a larger computer screen. I believe there's an automatic resize option for uploading photos.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
            Ian
            Calgary AB, Canada
            93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
            59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
              Another suggestion.... size all your photos so that the longest side is 800 pixels. Makes the picture a good size to see on even a larger computer screen. I believe there's an automatic resize option for uploading photos.

I wouldn't personally suggest this, you shouldn't intentionally degrade the quality of your photos IMHO
              Will Samet

How to find me:

Comment

Originally posted by w4rkry View Post
                I wouldn't personally suggest this, you shouldn't intentionally degrade the quality of your photos IMHO
                I resized all the ones one Imgur but keep the full size file on my computer.

Ian
                Calgary AB, Canada
                93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                  I resized all the ones one Imgur but keep the full size file on my computer.

You can never have to man backups!
                  Will Samet

How to find me:

Comment

Originally posted by w4rkry View Post
                    As a Mod, I can have a lot more messages than a Standard User

Feel free to email me anyway, its pretty easy, w4rkry@gmail.com

While it may be Technically possible for the Admins to enable editing, there is a reason it was limited to 30 Minutes, and I think the intention is to keep it that way for now. We will keep trying these methods, if a change is required I will certainly bring it to their attention.
                    Once upon a time there was no editing time limit, any user could edit their own posts at anytime but due to some problematic members (that aren't here anymore) they limited the editing to 30 mins so the staff had to be asked for help which helped moderate things

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

^^ I know why it happened, but it's still extremely annoying.
                      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
                        ^^ I know why it happened, but it's still extremely annoying.
                        Agreed

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Just tried this, it takes absolutely forever. Will be quicker for me to re-upload all my photos off a usb drive to imgur, then try to figure them all out im sure.

Comment

Really? Once I had all the pics loaded on imgur I was hitting the 'you can't send more than one PM per minute" wall, so I able to edit one post and PM it within a minute. I'm on a PC though, it woudn't be nearly as easy on a phone/tablet.
                            '88 L- B6d-Sidedraft Dellorto Carbs-G-Series-Advanced Suspension
                            '89 L B3-5 speed-A/C-Advanced Suspension

Project Goldilocks '66 C10 Short Fleet BBW Build
                            '65 C10 Highly Detailed Stock Restoration Thread
                            '55 International Metal/Body/Paint Work
                            '66 F100 Full Rotisserie Restoration
                            '40 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration
                            How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster
                            How To Detail Sand Body Panels, Edges, Corners

Comment

Originally posted by theastronaut View Post
                              Really? Once I had all the pics loaded on imgur I was hitting the 'you can't send more than one PM per minute" wall, so I able to edit one post and PM it within a minute. I'm on a PC though, it woudn't be nearly as easy on a phone/tablet.
                              Its the loading onto imgur thats the issue. I was on a pc but i have the same photos linked in different threads and forums, i have just over 500 on photobucket and wanted to move them all to imgur into one album. Then after that go redo all the links. Imgur wont let me drag and drop photobucket photos in there so i have to open the photobucket photo, zoom in, right click and copy on the photo, then over to imgur and paste it into the link box. Half the time it wont paste properly and i have to hit back on imgur and try again. Only got 5 or 6 photos done before i got sick of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X