Westiva 2017 photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westiva 2017 photos

Here are some photos from last weekends Westiva. Most are mine but I've thrown in a couple of Ben's and Ryan's for good measure...

Goodbye heavy traffic on the main highway...

Welcome to Kananaskis Country

Here's a link to the entire album... click here Looking forward to seeing photos from everyone else!

The next edition of Westiva will be held on Saturday July 14th, 2018... it's never too early to start planning!
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Great Pictures... Beautiful weather you had for it this year. Wish I could have made it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
      Great Pictures... Beautiful weather you had for it this year. Wish I could have made it.
      Thanks, it was an awesome day! Oh, and by the way, it's only about 2600 miles (one way) from Charleston to Wedge Pond
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

Forgot to add a shot of the trophies that were presented. The long distance trophy went to Ben and Frito while the fan favorite went to Joe and his "shark mouth" Festiva.

Stainless steel plate and hardware with graphics from Allen Isakson. Check him out on Facebook.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
        Last edited by fastivaca; 07-22-2017, 09:06 PM.
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

So we had been looking forward to this westiva meet for a whole year, that had a lot to do with my plan of bringing this camping trailer that I am building for our cross-Canada trip down there and spending a night in it, but unfortunately it was far from ready. It was a really great meet, not too hot and so many different festivas! My towing car, jimmy's pedro which you all know about, ian's b6+t road trip car, joe's bp airplane festiva, frito the festiva tent, bob kiddy's wifes car- A stock automatic with a/c, gary's stock festiva he bought new in '90 with some interesting options and Andrew's suzuki swift convertable.

The days leading up to westiva were a lot of work trying to get ready. I spent one evening helping Julian try and get his festiva ready to go but he ended up not being able to make it. Then the next evening I went to inspect some rear bearing noise I was having and found far bigger issues than expected. found a replacement drum and bearings, installed them the next day, cleaned the car up and friday evening I put the good tires on, reset my rear bearing tension, we washed it, installed the carseats and packed. It was midnight before we finally got to bed.
          While swapping the tires i noticed that one rear tire was wearing through! Same rims on both sides, same tire size but different brands. The one side has lots of clearance, this side none obviously. When we got home i got another tire that had the same rim and same tire size but different brand and it had lots of clearance too...

So after 4 hrs of sleep we got up, threw the kids in the car and started driving! left at about 4:30 as throwing kids in a car isnt as quick as it sounds when their real tired

It got light pretty quick, stopped for a tire re-torque here.

It was a 5hr drive to the meet location, 1/2 an hour from there we saw Ian and Jimmy! So we got to have a 3 car convoy through the mountains down there.

Some group shots. the first 2 are taken at the wedge pond parking lot.

These 2 are at the gas station where Jimmy fueled up Pedro. ripoff on gas there! on the way back I figured it would be safer to gas up there and it was $1.08/Litre! Only put $10 in...
          I got to drive Frito (Ben's car) from wedge pond there, and he drove mine.
          That was interesting. First festiva with the advanced suspension i have driven. Was pretty cool- especially the a/c! Colder than mine and blows harder because he doesnt have the cabin filter. Noticed the led interior light while driving and blinded myself at 45mph since i was looking at it when i turned it on. Also my first experience with auto belts. We had talked about them all day but it still suprised me when it started moving and i didnt really realize the lap belt still was manual and it make no sense... lol. Very cool car. Interesting to drive, nice to be in a festiva with a loud muffler again, Its been over a year for me.

Then I got to drive Pedro!!!!! While Jimmy took my car for a spin.

Drove it all the way to the Boulton creek ice cream place, which was quite a ways actually. I never thought i would ever see the car in person, much less drive it! So that was cool. Grabbiest brakes i have ever felt, but that was kind of interesting, was almost used to it by the end. It sounds really nice, radio is great, deflectors on the windows were nice, window tint is great. Could tell it had good power and handling but no where to try it out of course, we were all in a slow moving festiva convoy on a very narrow mountain road. Was great fun though still. Everyone is always talking about how soft these spring rates are and how they can't imagine it would handle well and they were actually stiffer than I had imagined they would be, lol.

The ice cream was fantastic but it melted faster than you could eat it! And the ice cream i got for the kids was better than mine but I cant be sad because mine was still great.

We talked there for a while and then headed out to what I believe is upper kananaskis lake?
          I asked bob if i could take his wifes auto festiva for a spin since i have never driven an auto festy before. That was interesting. We never got over 25mph or so but it was interesting. Went for the clutch pedal as soon as i got in it.... I should have tried out the a/c but I didnt. Bob told me how to adjust my a/c colder, I haven't tried it yet but the thread about that is here if your interested:
          Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

And those seats are soooo nice!!!! Was also cool to talk to a couple who has 12 festivas

From there everyone left after we had hung out at the lake for a while. I took joes car for a spin right before they left, that was also interesting. Its a bp with an e-series 5 speed but a ceramic clutch with no slip that engages/disengages where the pedal meets the floor. Also the brake pedal goes half way down before anything happens and then another 1/2inch and the wheels lock up, lol. The bp has so much low end power! The loud exhaust was a treat after a full year of my festivas being silenced. The cool looks factor easily makes up for the clutch and brake issues on this car, it was great.
          Was very nice to see the difference tire choice and wheel alignment makes driving all these at once. Mine grips pretty good with the 14in achilles and suspension setup. Frito and pedro were both on 13in achilles i think. Both have the advance suspension although bens has more neg camber but they felt different to drive in how they handle and steer. Anyway, joes bp had 185 wide 14in tires i believe and seemed to have less traction than my good 145 r12's! But its hard to compare since he has different brakes and a heavier motor and could easily be just bad tires. But for sure not near as much grip as my car, frito or pedro.

some Individual photos:
          Frito, a true sleeper car!

Ian's b6+t with mr2 seats

Joe's car. I didnt get as many photos as I should have because I took like 30 last year... But this car won the fan favorite award.

The headliner and overhead switch panel are pretty sweet.

Andrew's car

It sure is a goofy looking engine, specially the valve cover.

Our younger son

So the meet ended at the lake, but after I finished driving Joe's car we stayed there with the kids a while longer. We let shawn get wet in the lake and When we went back to the car to put dry clothes on him there were none! So we ended up going to ian and sharon's place to dry his clothes. Jimmy, ben, bob and of course ian were there so we had almost another mini meet there and it was 9:30 before we left his house. Joshua, our younger son fell off a picnic table and scratched his face up bad at wedge pond and half way from Ian's place to ours he decided he had had enough...

But he calmed down and we got home at 12:30 and we got to bed around 2. So a 22hr day for us, 20hrs for the kids, lol. 1000km and 10hrs or more of driving.
          We had a great time and thanks again to Ian for organizing it! And of course thanks to everyone who came such a long ways to be there.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for sharing these Ryan! I always like seeing things from the perspective of others... Different camera angles, different subjects, things I missed etc.

Ian
            Ian
            Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
              Thanks for sharing these Ryan! I always like seeing things from the perspective of others... Different camera angles, different subjects, things I missed etc.

Ian
              Yup, what i noticed in my shots vs ben's was that i had cropped all the tops of the mountains off when i took similar shots as him! and i only took photos of cars, no scenery or kids!! you and my wife got photos with our kids in them, i hardly got any. [emoji50]

Last edited by ryanprins13; 07-22-2017, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Hopefully ben adds some photos once he is back but if anyone wants to see his drone video and some of his photos that he posted on facebook here is the link. Doesnt matter is you dont have a facebook account, you can still view his post with the photos and video here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/187474...50921414329959

Comment

Working...
                X