My new Festy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Festy

Picked it up monday, i stalled quick shifter and had friend machine bronze bushings. Notchy and super tight. Tightened loose lug nuts and did safety inspection.
    Tues. Buffed the last five years off the paint (pic later) and will polish it soon. Fixed corroded battery cables, alcohol washed windows and biocleaned dash and doors. Pushed dent out in roof and adjusted hood fit, mine is super loose on both sides and is latch high, going to have to adjust
    Wed. Installed hood strut mod, had to order two more ballstuds, so only half done20180423_172637.jpg20180423_172622.jpg20180425_155029.jpg20180425_155047.jpg

Did not figure pic problems out yet. Thanks for the tons of information. Planning a pair of Rio motored 5speed cars, one wide body, both retuned for milage. Aspire swap with coils sooner, the thing is scary at speed right now. LoL have not smiled so much since i quit driving Type-1 VW's, mostly due to really bad bushings all around and cheap 12" tires

Comment

Welcome to the group! These are fun cars how do you plan to tune them?
      You are planning to do the 'advanced' coilover setup most of us do right? Makes these cars handle better than you would believe.
      Have you owned a festiva before or is this your first one?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

my first Festy, had a GLC for a couple months in the nineties. i may pay for dyno-tune, but may start by getting a programmable and spend the time myself.

yes, the advanced suspension is what i am planning. Rio front end, lca and sway, is the plan for the front, standard Aspire seems good enough for the rear, i would like disks.

i am concerned the ride will be too stiff, been looking into vw mk1 rear conversion because the cars are similar in weight so may transfer after fabbing the mounts. the MK2 is twice the weight, getting stiffer than stock KW shocks for a car that heavy seems to be over dampening, am building one for the wife to commute in so it cannot be a race car. if it was as firm as my 2010 Golf TDI i would be super happy. tend to do my fast driving on twisty, bumpy, roads so travel is a must.

Comment

Originally posted by Zenfrizbee View Post
          my first Festy, had a GLC for a couple months in the nineties. i may pay for dyno-tune, but may start by getting a programmable and spend the time myself.

yes, the advanced suspension is what i am planning. Rio front end, lca and sway, is the plan for the front, standard Aspire seems good enough for the rear, i would like disks.

i am concerned the ride will be too stiff, been looking into vw mk1 rear conversion because the cars are similar in weight so may transfer after fabbing the mounts. the MK2 is twice the weight, getting stiffer than stock KW shocks for a car that heavy seems to be over dampening, am building one for the wife to commute in so it cannot be a race car. if it was as firm as my 2010 Golf TDI i would be super happy. tend to do my fast driving on twisty, bumpy, roads so travel is a must.
          Sweet! The 120/105 springs seem to work very well for everyone. I drove one car with it and its a little firmer than the stock 100/85 of course but the cornering and handling that gives is amazing. Its absolutely nothing like driving a civic with 400 pound springs....

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice car! Are you going to do go megasquirt for ECU tuning?

Regardless, I'd love to hear about your results.

Comment

welcome aboard!!!
              2005 IASCA WORLD CHAMPION

Comment

Welcome to the Community!

iirc I think someone told me to flip the hood strut so the rod faces down, this keeps oil on the seal and keeps it from drying out. Don't know if it makes much of a difference but just passing that along.
                Last edited by firebush357; 04-26-2018, 11:53 AM.
                "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                sigpic
                "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
                  Welcome to the Community!

iirc I think someone told me to flip the hood strut so the rod faces down, this keeps oil on the seal and keeps it from drying out. Don't know if it makes much of a difference but just passing that along.
                  Yup, flipping it the other direction will greatly increase it's lifespan
                  Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
                  Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
                  Feel free to PM me anytime!
                  Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
                  Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Thanks for the flip tip.
                    Drove 180 miles threw tight corners and steep bills with 3 people (780 pounds) and still averaged 41.5 mpg.
                    Really needs suspension and exhaust, now not later... smoking less, lifter noise quieting, but starting to surge, e haust or likely a vacume leak from old dry hoses

Comment

Originally posted by w4rkry View Post
                      Yup, flipping it the other direction will greatly increase it's lifespan
                      The rod lays horizontally in the closed position 99% of the time.
                      Last edited by bravekozak; 04-28-2018, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                        The rod lays horizontally in the closed position 99% of the time.
                        I guess that depends on what kind of life you're engine bay leads

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
                        Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
                        Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
                        Feel free to PM me anytime!
                        Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
                        Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Originally posted by w4rkry View Post
                          I guess that depends on what kind of life you're engine bay leads

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
                          Thanks for reminding me that I need to get back to my homemade Festiva car cover project.

Comment

Which is why it was important to get the easy open hood, i figure the first six months for upgrades and another for tuning and cleaning up the things i wish i had done different. then build the wife's car to be easy, comfortable and super gas mileage for the commute.

Comment

Working...
                            X