4.5 0-60 electric mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.5 0-60 electric mini

youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

anybody here done a Festiva? I have a great book on how to convert gasolines to electric, but it seems to be beyond my mechanical reach at the moment.
    93 Festiva GL

Comment

No mention of price :shock:

Probably out of range for us cheapskate Festiva owners...............

Cool car though!
      1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
      1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
      1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
      1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
      1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
      1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
      1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

Cool! I like the way they have it set up:

"As the battery level reduces, the rear mounted ICE/generator starts to automatically top up the battery. So when you arrive at your destination you can simply park the vehicle knowing that when you return the battery will be replenished. Alternatively you can take advantage of lower cost mains electricity and plug in to recharge."

That makes a lot more sense to me than the combined electric/gas engine arrangement that Toyota (and others) use.

Comment

^ I agree on all points there Dave.
          youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by Breedlove
            anybody here done a Festiva? I have a great book on how to convert gasolines to electric, but it seems to be beyond my mechanical reach at the moment.

Comment

Comment

I have always been into electrics, I thought about scavaging a forklift junkyard and pulling parts but I think I need a garage first.
                93 Festiva GL

Comment

The setup with a internal combustion engine, powering a generator, which in turn powers the electric drive is the same as used in things like diesel electric trains. (all modern diesel trains really.) Interesting tidbit: GM is the worlds largest manufacturer of diesel electric locomotives, and is now working on bringing this same technology to market for passenger cars. More efficient setup than series hybrids, that's for sure.

Comment

That is totally awesome.....now all we need is a price
                    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    There ain't no rest for the wicked
                    until we close our eyes for good.
                    I will sleep when I die!
                    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by carbonvmax
                      http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2002/01/03/electric-ford.htm
                      You can thank the Big Automakers, Ford in this case for once again killing a good deal. Ford bought the rights to the Th!nk electric car and then they said that no one wanted them and killed it ala GM EV1 style. When they were owned by the original Norwegian company, they were becoming quite popular in Europe,....but then FORD "had a better idea".. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
                      1991 L 408,000 miles+ w/NEW B3 longblock!!
                      2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

Originally posted by b3 madness
                        Originally posted by carbonvmax
                        http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2002/01/03/electric-ford.htm
                        You can thank the Big Automakers, Ford in this case for once again killing a good deal. Ford bought the rights to the Think! electric car and then they said that no one wanted them and killed it ala GM EV1 style. When they were owned by the original Norwegian company, they were becoming quite popular in Europe,....but then FORD "had a better idea".. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
                        That's the trouble. They want to buy them out, then kill them. Electric cars are so durable and low maintenance that the big money sees their profits disappearing. I've been researching electric motorcycles too. I think I can make one from one of my parts bikes. For local use it seems ideal.

Comment

I originally purchased my Festiva to convert to an Electric Vehicle, but then the reality of the conversion costs became over my budget at the time. A motorcycle on the other hand can be done for far less and requires very little fabrication work.

Here is a link to EV conversions: http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/
                          1991 L 408,000 miles+ w/NEW B3 longblock!!
                          2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

Working...
                          X