Rode in a 426hp 4th gen camaro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rode in a 426hp 4th gen camaro

1st off my thought of speed is all screwed up! I have had high speed bikes for years and im very used to seeing the speed-o needle on the right side of the gauge. The car was dynoed in Chicago at some shop. I did see the graph. Car made 426 to the wheels. It maxed the stock injectors out at the very upper limits. Has a Brian Tooley stage 4 cam, headers, intake mani, intake, full exhaust, 150 shot (didnt use it with me tho). The car pulls great hooked in 1st no problem.

Before i pulled the motor i would have walked him in overkill while spinning! Watching how long it took him to reach 85 and how it felt to go past that i know the festy could stomp him (all in good fun tho).

So happy with the power that overKILL is making. Now if i could just get a bit more of it to the ground! Cant wait to finish this stage of the build up so i can get back out there and show them what a festy can do.
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

If you didn't have Chinese 13's on there I bet you could put a bit more down lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

At that power level, and the speed that car is capable of, quality high speed tyres are of vital importance! OP is aware of this and on the hunt for killer tyres.
      In the Land Speed Racing scene, we were required to run 400mph Goodyears....
      No car too fast !

Comment

what kind of 1/4mile times are you thinking overkill can put down?
        1992 White Ford Festiva GL 5sp with A/C (Fettuccine)

Comment

Shoot im spinning 15x8 wheels with 340 wear rate tires with the factory b3. If you wanna lay down the power you have you will probably need 225s and at most 200 wear rate. Look into BFG Rivals, great tire for your money.

Comment

I have a set of federal UHP 595 in my garage waiting on my slow arse to finish the motor mounts. Soon i will have the meat the car needs.

I have some 260 tread 185 60 13. They are crazy soft for now (will heat cycle to a bit harder form).

Also i have the mfactory diff going in as we speak! Soon ill either put the power down or ill be spinnin both tires!

I think Chinese 13 would be an upgrade compared to whats on it now...
            1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
            1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
            1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by RdstrBlk View Post
              Shoot im spinning 15x8 wheels with 340 wear rate tires with the factory b3. If you wanna lay down the power you have you will probably need 225s and at most 200 wear rate. Look into BFG Rivals, great tire for your money.
              Wider spins easier. 165mm wide tires will grip better than 195mm tires on these cars. It's due to the pressure on the contact patch. Narrow tires have a higher contact patch pressure. As a result, the contact patch will be longer (with tire compression) on the narrower tire. The contract patch on the wide tire will be wider, but shorter. The wide contact patch is better for tire stability under lateral (cornering) force, but the narrower tire is better for acceleration and braking. The proper tire width is relative to the vehicle weight. Your b3 easily spins a wide tire, but if you were running a narrower tire, you'd hook up better. Eventually, you'll get so wide that your little b3 just can't spin that much tire weight, but that's not the same as grip.
              My 165mm wide 400 tread wear street tires get more driving grip than my 185mm 80 tread wear race tires until my race tires build heat (which wouldn't happen often if I was on the street, I've gotta push the car to heat them up).
              Wider tires gripping better is a misconception from people watching race cars with slicks and thinking it's the tire width is what makes the race cars stick better. There are many other factors to consider with race cars. With street cars, on street tires, it's a simple matter of vehicle weight vs. Tire width and composition. A festiva is 1700-1900lbs in most cases. A festiva is also a FWD car. FWD cars tend to transfer weight off the driving wheels when they are accelerating, which means they require a narrower tire than an equally weighted RWD car, in order to get maximum grip.
              If a bias ply, or "wrinkle wall" tire is used, it can be considerably wider, as these tires are designed to have a longer contact patch, and the tire compound is designed to heat up quickly.
              Last edited by Advancedynamix; 04-01-2017, 06:49 AM.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Watching the speedometer is not a very accurate measure of how fast a FWD car accelerates (not like a bike, which is much easier to feel wheelspin.) With wheel spin, the speedometer needle will move faster, but your actual acceleration will slow down. It is very hard to feel wheel spin on a lightweight car. Also, the higher the gear your in, the harder it is to feel the wheel spin in a FWD car. It's very common to hear drivers of these cars say, "It spins in the first three gears but then hooks up." The truth is, the car is probably still spinning the tires, but not as drastically. Wheel spin is slow. Why do you think they make such a big deal about traction control in modern racing? Having been a part of many forms of racing for most of my life, I can say first hand, races are won and lost more due to traction than any other factor. This holds true for anything from formula 1 to NHRA top fuel to the local stop n go street scene. HP is easy to bolt on, it's traction that will give you an advantage.
                Last edited by Advancedynamix; 04-01-2017, 07:13 AM.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I went 185 because thats what i could get. My next tire will be 165 55 15 federals.
                  1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                    Wider spins easier. 165mm wide tires will grip better than 195mm tires on these cars. It's due to the pressure on the contact patch. Narrow tires have a higher contact patch pressure.
                    This. My BP with 165 achilles on 14" wheels spins a lot less than my SOHC B6 did with 185/60-14 federal 912s. The extra weight and moving the engine forward helps too, but 4-5 years ago I was on the wider is better boat. But at least for street compounds it seems like 165 is a dang good width.
                    We put 155/55-13s on Chris's SOHC B6 and they hook up better than my 185s did too, and can take a stupid amount of lateral forces. They are on super light 5" wide honda VX wheels and IMO provide an even more "go cart" feel than my car, and we are running almost identical suspension.

For something making the kind of power that overkill is making and with the opportunity to warm the tires up when drag racing (burnout), Mike may find that the 185/60s in such a soft compound work pretty well in a straight line. There is also a lot more weight in the front of that car. Best thing to do is try them, try some others, and see what works for what you're trying to do.
                    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
                      I went 185 because thats what i could get. My next tire will be 165 55 15 federals.
                      185 will be good for autocross in your bp car with weight forward and lots of negative camber. Your fine there.

Comment

I remember years ago spending hours and hours searching online for what was the optimum contact patch pressure. I was frustrated that i found nothing at the time.
                        But now i realize that the optimum pressure would be different depending on how sticky the tire is (ambient temperature and tire temp affects that) what surface your on (asphalt, gravel, snow, ice).
                        And your contact patch size changes based on your speed and lateral force.
                        Also its hard to measure surface area of some tread patterns.
                        So it sounds to me like theres too many variables to figure it out.
                        Or has someone done this?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by ryanprins13; 04-01-2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                          I remember years ago spending hours and hours searching online for what was the optimum contact patch pressure. I was frustrated that i found nothing at the time.
                          But now i realize that the optimum pressure would be different depending on how sticky the tire is (ambient temperature and tire temp affects that) what surface your on (asphalt, gravel, snow, ice).
                          And your contact patch size changes based on your speed and lateral force.
                          Also its hard to measure surface area of some tread patterns.
                          So it sounds to me like theres too many variables to figure it out.
                          Or has someone done this?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
                          It's been calculated by many OEM manufacturers, and the military. It's different for every application.

Comment

Outlaw cars do 7 second quarter on an 8.5" slick

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

A top fuel dragster runs 5 seconds on 17.5" wide slicks and weights less than a Festiva. Lol. RWD and 7psi in a wrinkle wall make a little bit of a difference. 7000hp helps too. Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X