Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If we want new members, the site IS kind of hostile...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If we want new members, the site IS kind of hostile...

You have to register to even read what is here, so most people will just forget about the place.

To me, after all the other places I have been online that took off and did well that doesn't make sense. I think it would be better to allow "GUESTS" to be able to view what is here (except restricted zones like the ARENA) and decide if the info here is cool or not.

Consider allowing unregistered people to lurk and look - without being allowed to post.

It works like a charm everywhere else.

* I know, the number of cars out in the wild are less every day, so perhaps there are not as many of us as I think. All the more reason to touch them all and give them a place to be if we can. A master body man that owns a Mini Cooper 1st gen told me about a car with a perfect body in a wrecking yard that got "CUBED" before he could get back to grab it. They didn't wait...

Neither will visitors that have no reason to register and feel put off by not being able to see anything - and my thought here is that we should welcome views.

I think it will help us

If you close the door before anyone can step through it - they will walk away and forget us

Why shouldn't they? There's nothing to see...

ANALYSE THE MESSAGE BEING SENT: "GO AWAY! It's PRIVATE"
    THAT's what it says...
    Last edited by Greywolf; 06-12-2016, 11:06 PM.
    Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

I believe it was made private long ago to keep webcrawling bots out, as they were loading down the server

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
    Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
    Feel free to PM me anytime!
    Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
    Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

^ Among other issues
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by w4rkry View Post
        I believe it was made private long ago to keep webcrawling bots out, as they were loading down the server

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
        Other forums i am on have 5-10 robot posted threads a day that moderators have to delete. Keeps them busy. Also a TON of people who join to ask things like 'my gas tank is empty and the car shuts off if i hit a bump or take a corner, what do i do?' And after asking the dumb question they never post again.
        That being said i knew about this site for many years but never joined until last year when another member talked to me and convinced me to. I wasn't going to join anything i couldn't see or read through first. I wish i had joined years ago.

Comment

Funny to talk about lurkers. I was at a wrecker this weekend and what did I find..2 guys tearing into an Aspire. They had the front knuckles in a wheelbarrow and about to pull out the rear beam. I just had to ask cuz who would pull a rear beam unless the had a Festiva. Correct on my part. I asked and yes, going into a Festiva. So I asked his name and he told me Mark. I asked if he was on this group..yes but just read for the info. So yes they are out there. Mark if you read this you can post. I asked what the screen name was and it was Two ..something ..cant remember.
          Clay

Comment

The force is strong in AZ.

I agree with Greywolf, but also don't have time to clean up a bot infestation. Us Mods aren't paid, we just do this because we enjoy the community. A lot of sites have a paid staff to maintain things, but that requires commercial involvement in the forum. I personally don't want to see advertisers here, aside from the free market we have between members.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I don't have a problem with registering to view, but my only complaint is that the search function doesn't work very well on this site and when I use Google, there is no info that pops up from this site.
              Rick
              1993 Ford Festiva
              1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
              1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
              2000 Ford E350

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
                .... but my only complaint is that the search function doesn't work very well on this site and when I use Google, there is no info that pops up from this site.
                I don't think the search issues are limited to our forum alone. I think it's fairly consistently poor on most vBulletin based forums.

Ian
                Ian
                Calgary AB, Canada
                93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                  I don't think the search issues are limited to our forum alone. I think it's fairly consistently poor on most vBulletin based forums.

Ian
                  Good point. Especially ones that have been around as long as this one. There's alot of info packed on the servers.
                  Rick
                  1993 Ford Festiva
                  1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                  1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                  2000 Ford E350

Comment

Well if some people only want to lurk, maybe for years, why would we want them as members anyhow? I don't see signing up as a deterrent at all to people who genuinely want to be a part of the Forum.

What gripes my butt are the guys who join basically to use us as their Craigslist ad; and those are usually the people who ask ridiculous prices for their completely stock and mediocre condition car. Some join and immediately try to sell their car; others joined years ago, never posted, and then put up a For Sale ad. Who needs 'em?

Real fans, sure, sign up and participate. Everyone else, have a nice day.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

BOTS are an ongoing nuisance to all websites, and posers don't last.
                      ALL websites have to deal with that.

The main thing is why chase people away by putting a gate across the road.

XENFORO has a much better way of kissing off the bots, and a lot more goodies for users -

XenForo is a compelling community forum platform with a premium user experience, reliability, flexibility and security. There is no better platform upon which to grow your community.

It would be worth looking into

It's - DIFFERENT definitely. If you want to see a fully implemented example of it look at:

Ford F150 Forum also covering the Ford F250 Super Duty, and Ford Explorer, as well as the classic F100 and F1.

Ken Payne set it up, and is a master at excellent web forums.

I realize this is a small community - but hiding under a barrel never works. And xenophobia drives people away
                      Last edited by Greywolf; 06-16-2016, 05:49 PM.
                      Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

Originally posted by Greywolf View Post
                        I realize this is a small community - but hiding under a barrel never works. And xenophobia drives people away
                        I ain't afraid a no xenos!
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

thank you i found this site by chance, am not very good on computers been trying to ask ? for over an hour. want a little help from a old school guy. looking to buy a 87 model need to know what to look for so I dont buy a money pit. any help please. Thank you

Comment

Check and see how badly it burns oil when you start it up.

Check for rust in areas like:
                            Were the rear axle attaches to the car
                            front of rear wheel well
                            Frame rails
                            body seam on side skirt

On the test drive, check if the car swerves during accel/decel. This is a sign of bad LCA bushings, fixable.

Listen to the wheels closely, check for bearing noise.

Give the tires a good shake, holding them at 9 and 3 oclock, then again from the top 12 oclock. IF they move around and clunk, the bearings are shot.

Check for oil leaks in the engine bay

Im sure there are a few other things I am missing
                            Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
                            Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
                            Feel free to PM me anytime!
                            Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
                            Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

thread revival!

my 2 cents... we did a B6T swap into a Festiva, and found sfa on the net about it, so we just figured it out and did it.

every other car forum I'm on, allows guests (and therefore bots) to entice people in, and most importantly, get the information out there, to help others.

I too found this site by accident, and what a treasure it is!!!

but get it out there!!
                              why wouldn't you want to share the wealth?
                              (while still hiding specific areas of course)

btw, how do I get access to the arena?...
                              Last edited by 2festi; 11-22-2016, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X