HELP! Sub/Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Sub/Amp

So I installed my sub/amp in my festy the other day but it's having a problem

Everything powers on and all is good. But when I turn the radio on and turn the bass up to loud everything basically stops playing when the bass hits.
    Even though the bass is still barely noticeable.

Could this be a problem with my ground? I tried getting rid of the paint and trying different areas for my ground. Where did you all put your ground?

Is it where I connect to the battery?

The amp is pretty cheap its a tis 700 watt amp (not rms)
    it has a 300 watt sub output and then 200 front speakers 200 rear speakers
    The subs are two 12's mtx which are plenty capable of 300 watt

I've never hooked subs up and don't know much about it. So any help is greatly appreciative.

If you need more info on anything let me know
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
    The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

pics would help
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

what guage wire are you using for power and ground?
      I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Question how many 200watt speakers you have in all, also is it 700watt per channel?
        if the amp has 2 channel you will divide 700 by 2 which would give 350 per channel. If there are 2 200watt speakers on that channel .. then you add the sub, see mi drift. It is normally recommended to use the amps either for bass or top end. Test the amps on the bass only, if it plays it ok then it might be a case where you need more amplifier
        JAMAICA TO THE WORLD
        I don't complain, i just come plain.

Comment

I had a cavalier with two 12" subs and a 1750 watt amp, and the same thing happened. Does the head unit happen to be a Sony? Mine was, and I was told that it will shut itself down (get really quiet) if too much power is pulled. This is supposed to be a safety so your battery doesn't die all the way. Try getting a capacitor. It could also be what alpaccino is saying as well. If you are overloading the amp, it will shut itself down in the same manner. I hope you get it fixed, because it drove me crazy too!
          The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
          89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

So I haven't got anything done yet with the sub. I plan on working on that later today when I wake up

I got a kit for the wiring and it was rated for a higher watt then I'm using.

The amp is 700 Watt 3 Channel I currently only have the sub hooked to it and then the two front speakers hooked to the head unit and the rear speakers are not hooked up to anything. The amp has a specific sub output so 300 watts are designated for the sub and the leftover 400 is divided for the front and rear speakers.

I will find out the gauge tomorrow and take some pics too.

I didn't take the paint off where the ground is. Could that cause this?

It seems it's very similar to Doylerl's situation. It's a JVC headunit 45X4 I believe.

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Paint under the connector could be a large factor. Clean the paint off so the connector is touching bare metal.
              Jerry
              Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
              90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
              92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
              93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by bebandit View Post
                Paint under the connector could be a large factor. Clean the paint off so the connector is touching bare metal.
                Alright will do. Where do you guys recommend it be grounded is that a big factor or as long as it's bare metal?

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

You can ground it pretty much anywhere. (The closer to the amp the better) You don't have to look for an existing bolt. You can use self tapping screws, just make sure you don't get into the gas tank...
                  The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
                  89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

So today I decided to just start over and basically I brought everything out in front of the car and hooked it all up. I grounded the amp to the negative terminal on the battery to see if it was a grounding issue. hooked it all up put on a song......

Still doesn't work right. If I turn my amp up or any bass everything just cuts out including the cd player which is a jvc KD-S16. and at that point there still really isn't any bass .

So do I need a capacitor? What does the capacitor really do?
                    I'm just getting frustrated and sick of messing with it

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

is your batt good? if you batt is low on voltage if will not have enough power to drive the sub... if you can add a cap and see if the fixes it... it worked wonders for my friends sub...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                      1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Are they 4 or 8 Ohm Dual voice coil? If they are 4 Ohm this is how you should have them wired. Keep in mind this is showing a Mono Amp, but the wiring applies.

Your problem possibly lies in too low an Ohm on the Amp.

Also the problem could lie in your deck and the fact that its a detachable face. It may have a loose connection between the faceplate and deck itself. Wiggle it and see if thats a problem.
                        My brother who has done this for a living says it could be a dozen different things and itll be process of elimination to determine.
                        Last edited by MONSOON; 01-07-2010, 10:57 AM.
                        Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                        - Unknown
                        I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                        - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                        - Bumper Sticker

Comment

^^^ Alright there is something new to try!

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Still not working

Here are some pictures of my set up

Maybe I'm just not getting enough power. I don't have the money for a capacitor. I did the speakers according to crutchfield. They are single voice coil. I'm at a loss
                            Could it be my battery being so small?
                            Last edited by Charlie1717; 01-07-2010, 12:42 PM.

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Just looking at the picture, i'd say your +12 volt wire and Rem wires are swapped. That large red wire should be on the +12 and the small blue one on the remote (rem) terminal. With the blue one on the +12, your radio is trying to feed the power to the amp instead of the battery.
                              Last edited by Team Lightning; 01-07-2010, 01:08 PM.
                              Jerry
                              Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                              90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                              92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                              93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Working...
                              X