Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the Ford whip.
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

I removed the drivers fender. Unfortunately, North American Festivas don't have any bolt holes for Kia Pride power antennas. I think it fits in this position like this. Can anyone with a Kia Pride verify this?
      I positioned the Pride power antenna and it extends only this much into the fenderwell.

The groove has to go into the clip on the motor, so I assume I will be drilling a hole in the upper seam above the power antenna motor. Can anyone with a Kia Pride verify this?

There is absolutely no margin for error on this install. The length has to be exact. I will drill the motor mounting holes into the area behind the firewall at the very last.

I am going to buy some plastic tube, and try to feed it through, before I install the new power antenna.

Comment

I drilled a 1/2" hole with a long drill bit. I started from the fender into the plenum gap and then into the A-pillar. I then ground off all the sharp edges. with a Dremel tool. I inserted an electrical fish wire and attached it with tape to the 3" of plastic gear cable with the antenna fully extended. I easily pulled the antenna through the newly drilled hole. Unfortunately the antenna lead would not go down to the other gap under the dash. It seemed to be hung up on an obstruction. I collapsed the antenna and pulled the antenna back to allow me to hook the fishwire to the antenna lead.
        I successfully pulled the antenna lead into position. However the plastic tube end was not visible. I gently pulled on the plastic gear cable and it just fell out of the hole. I did not force anything. I cut the remaining cable flush with the end ferrule. It required a lot of cutting force. I concluded that the cable must have had a weak point. I will order another power antenna mast from Four Green. I will hang on to this Pride antenna so that I may bring it to Ohiostiva next year. I am sure someone will enjoy having a longer manual antenna. At least I have the entire wiring harness out to opreate on. I am removing all 40 ECU wires and connectors.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 10-16-2011, 06:58 PM.

Comment

different markets around the world use different frequency ranges for FM radio transmission. Each frequency range requires a different length antenna, just as FestYboy said. Too long of an antenna can actually hurt reception, just as too short a mast would. Only AM bands like really long antennas. The longer the better for AM.
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Does that mean if you don't pull it out all the way, it will have better FM reception? At least I will get the AM rush hour traffic reports on the ones, clear as a bell.

Comment

Here is a picture of the antenna motor mounted on the inner fender wall with two M6 X 30 flange bolts. It was easy for me to mount it because I had my wiring harness out. I had no fear of accidentally drilling into the harness. The antenna goes up and down just fine. I have decided to mount the antenna switch in a spare slot just under the instrument cluster, and not down on the cubby. Too far to reach while driving.

There are power antenna motors on eBay Germany for sale, in case someone else wishes to try this project. I also have an extra antenna motor. You will however need to order an antenna mast from Four Green.
              Last edited by bravekozak; 04-30-2012, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Here is a picture of where the bolts came out on the inside. I drilled through the bracket that supports the rear wiring harness connector. Ignore the rust spot at the corner of the plenum. I am going to weld it up.

Comment

I have decided to use a relay to protect the antenna motor. From what I understand, the original North American Festiva radio does not have an a power antenna signal for auto up when the radio is turned on, or auto down when the radio is shut off. I am going to have to wire this up for manual operation only. I am not going to buy a European stereo. I will give a little extra length to the signal wire just in case someday I can afford the radio of my dreams.
                  Last edited by bravekozak; 05-06-2012, 07:05 AM.

Comment

All wired up. Two wires to the motor. Up and down.
                    Last edited by bravekozak; 10-22-2013, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Whoa! It took almost a year and a half to wire it up? :nightmare:
                      Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                      - Unknown
                      I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                      - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                      - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Yup. I did everything at once. Power windows, remote progressive power locks, power gas popper, lighted vanity visors, under dash courtesy lights, cruise control and idle up for A/C and P/S. I also cut out all the wires for the ECA and trashed it. I thought it would be best to do all the wiring ar one time.
                        Fun. Wow. Fantasy Island. It was a learning experience (especially progressiva locks). I hope everyone saved a copy of the triple relay progressive lock diagram from the power door locks thread. Progressive means only the driver's door lock opens on the first push of the remote and all three locks open on the second push. Believe me, you smile when you figure it out and see it work.
                        Last edited by bravekozak; 10-23-2013, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Power antenna question:
                          I know that the missing third terminal on the factory radio connector can be used to detect a radio on/off condition. I need to know what I would have to do in order to make the antenna go up or down with the radio. Is there a special device that cuts power immediately after an antenna stall?
                          Last edited by bravekozak; 05-10-2014, 07:13 AM.

Comment

It's audio/visual time again.

Comment

Very cool! You got every option and than some. Should call itCadi-stiva!

Comment

Wait until you see my chromed power steering reservoir.
                                I don't have every option.
                                No rear seat, therfore no cargo cover.
                                Also no electric shocks (lost the bid) but they would not have fit under the cruise vacuum ball anyway.
                                The car looks a lot different since I did that video.
                                I will update it once I finish the suspension.
                                I still have to pick up my big Southwest Speed order.
                                My goal is to make a Festiva that should have come from the factory.
                                I just finished throwing some Bounce sheets into the cab for the winter.
                                Strange weather this year. It's still very mild and the leaves are on the trees.
                                If the sun is pumping out more heat, and it's going to warm up no matter if we took all the cars off the road and shut down all the factories, does that mean we still have to suck it up and salute when big government puts a carbon tax on everything? Hurry 2034.
                                Last edited by bravekozak; 11-04-2016, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X