help mounting 5 1/4" in the rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help mounting 5 1/4" in the rear

Hey guys! I had been reading through the forum and did a few searches but couldn't find any pictures or information on how to mount 5 1/4" speakers in the back. For reference, these are the speakers I have and want to install. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ries/TS-A1374R

I found a post by Monsoon stating if you break off the tabs and drill new holes to make a 4" hole pattern it works, but that was for a different model of pioneers and simply put, I cannot see that working on my setup since the trim around the speaker is so narrow.

What I was thinking of was cutting the speaker grill out in the rear with a dremel, so a hole (in the shape of a circle) replaces it, and then just sit the speakers in the hole and worry about securing them later (although it's very unlikely they would bounce out, if it goes according to plan)
    It is hard to understand unless you actually see what I mean, so tomorrow I will try to get a picture and highlight what I want to remove.

If this was too long to read, then simply suggest ideas on how to mount the speakers. Thanks!
    Last edited by stingy goose; 08-20-2011, 09:30 PM.

get a cargo cover and mount them in it.....
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
      get a cargo cover and mount them in it.....
      I have a cargo cover... but I need to be able to remove it so I can throw snowboards and especially bikes in the back! sucks to be active

Comment

Originally posted by stingy goose View Post
        I have a cargo cover... but I need to be able to remove it so I can throw snowboards and especially bikes in the back! sucks to be active
        have it connected with spade connectors....put some decent speakers in the original spots and when you have to remove the cover....use the other speakers

OR....roof rack time....
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

have it connected with spade connectors....put some decent speakers in the original spots and when you have to remove the cover....use the other speakers

Or put a rack on top to carry your bikes and snowboards!

EDIT- LMAO nevermind, got beat to it!
          89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
          My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

I have 5x7's in my cargo cover.
            91GL BP/F3A with boost
            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Use 1/4" fiberboard to make yourself an adapter. Use the 4" speaker as the inside hole and use the 5.25" as the outside ring. Drill the holes for the 4" to mount your disc to the car. Drill holes for the larger speaker in the ring and thread coarse machine screws from the underside of your speaker to mount your new setup. If you want, make a second ring that matches the surround if you think the cone will hit the new mount.
              Last edited by DriverOne; 08-20-2011, 11:15 PM.
              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

I've got 5 1/4 in the rear pioneers as well, very similar to yours. A homemade adapter would be the most professional but for a while all I did was take really long screws and go in at an angle into the factory mounts and it held just fine.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

This is what I want to do, just not nearly as big of a speaker and it would look a lot cleaner hopefully...
                  thoughts?

Comment

go for it....just make it clean like you said.
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    I will sleep when I die!

Comment

I have 6x9 speakers in a custom cargo cover and left some half decent 4" speakers in the stock location. Both pairs of speakers have stock or almost stock plugs on them so that when I have to haul bigger stuff I just unplug the big speakers, pull out the cargo cover and plug in the smaller speakers. Here's a shot of the underside of the cargo cover...

Hope that helps a bit.
                      Ian
                      Calgary AB, Canada
                      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

OR....roof rack time....
                        Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                        I have 6x9 speakers in a custom cargo cover and left some half decent 4" speakers in the stock location. Both pairs of speakers have stock or almost stock plugs on them so that when I have to haul bigger stuff I just unplug the big speakers, pull out the cargo cover and plug in the smaller speakers. Here's a shot of the underside of the cargo cover...

Hope that helps a bit.
                        Looks exactly like what I typed....lol
                        89L Silver EFI auto
                        91GL Green Auto DD
                        I will sleep when I die!

Comment

yea, the only problem is since I already have these 5 1/4" speakers I want to use them the way I intended which is where the stock ones go. If I was going to build a custom cargo and everything I'd probably just say f-it, flip a table and go out to wally and buy the 4" pioneers for 60 bucks

the only reason I got these 5 1/4" is because they were half price; only 50 dollars, and I was hoping to find a way to make them fit. I figure 4" wouldn't be heard over my sub anyway

I'll try out my install as planned and let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for the ideas though!

Comment

Originally posted by stingy goose View Post
                            ... I'd probably just say f-it, flip a table and go out to wally world
                            angry9:

Hahaha!

Yeah, I know when you get it done, it's going to look good. I'm glad I can see how yours turns out, I need do the same in my car!

I like the idea of the 6x9s with connectors but I wouldn't be able to store the cargo cover anywhere when I need the cargo space. Without the speakers in, you can lay it on the floor of the hatch.
                            -Zack
                            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

I stick with my previous post. No need to waste a perfectly good deck on a speaker hole when you may change your mind later and have to buy more. The 5.25" speakers aren't going to be insanely larger than the 4" speaker and you'll retain the sound even after mounting them from below.
                              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Working...
                              X