help mounting 5 1/4" in the rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
    I stick with my previous post. No need to waste a perfectly good deck on a speaker hole when you may change your mind later and have to buy more. The 5.25" speakers aren't going to be insanely larger than the 4" speaker and you'll retain the sound even after mounting them from below.
    I'm going to give that a shot, but even though you say it retains the sound, part of the cone is slightly covered which doesn't really make sense for the sound properties. I have a whole bunch of left over 3/4" MDF from my subwoofer box (which sounds great) that I'll try to rig up, but if I end up not liking it, I'm going to cut the hole.

Comment

Ok. Good luck. With 3/4 MDF you can maximize your open area, coming in for the original mounting screw locations only, and you should actually improve overall rigidity.
      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Also, the amount of the cone that would be covered is around .75", or enough to cover the suspension and a tiny bit of cone. I think you may be surprised.
        There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

i mounted 6x9s in my hatch with some mdf and some ebay spaces. i just dressed up the mdf with grey carpet from the auto store and put some home depot weather strip behind it to minimize the rattle and screwed it into the metal. ill get pics tomorrow. you could use this tec for your current speakers and then upgrade to 6x9s later by making the holes bigger
          -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
          -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Stingy, how was it?

Comment

Working...
            X