Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
    which car did you do that in Tom?
    My current Festy. In the roof, since it's easy to get the hard roof panel out, and on both sides in the area between the inner and outer skin, where the rear seat is.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
      I used foam rubber everywhere but in the doors. It's about filling up the cavities. Much cheaper (Wal-Mart) and definitely makes a difference.
      Foam rubber as in expanding foam, or is it something else? I'd love to fill the fenders with something to keep the noise down and then add some fatmat to it to finish it off! Maybe even fill the pillars with expanding foam as well...
      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

I wouldn't use expanding foam to fill body panels, that stuff absorbs moisture and can cause issues... plus if you overfill it you have a HUGE mess on your hands.
        89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
        94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
        2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
        1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
          Foam rubber as in expanding foam, or is it something else? I'd love to fill the fenders with something to keep the noise down and then add some fatmat to it to finish it off! Maybe even fill the pillars with expanding foam as well...
          Not expanding foam, foam rubber, like in seat cushions, etc.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

My Flex has something in the roof area and it make a tremendous difference in sound and heat.

I will be looking into doing something to Festy.
            Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

glad it was resurrected - I bought a roll of underlayment at a yard sale for $25. it has a plastic side and a fiber padded side about 1/8 thick x 3' wide x 33' long.

after I do the doors now I know to spray some bedliner on the facing fabric side to lock out moisture.

It won't add a lot of weight - the roll weighs only about 25-30 pounds.

I won't be able to do the roof because I ain't #$%^ up a nice headliner to do it.
              If it ever needs replacing I'll have the interior guy spray it with bedliner. Or if he'll let me come in with a gallon of the stuff I'll brush it on - thicker that way.

I would think just brushing on bedliner would do a decent job of sound deadening on the cheap, although no where as good as the padding. a combo of the 2 inside the doors (or all over) would work well I'd think.

I brushed b-liner on the inside panels on a 81 chevette and it looked nice compared to the scuffed up original panels. foam over plastic panels was the worst interior panel idea of the 20th century imo. after 20 years, what foam was left came off in little dust clouds everytime you hit a bump (or closed the door or hatch, lol) wish I kept the pics - it did come out well - the brush marks made it look good imo. did in black and metal was done in lime green. I rat rodded the thing nice but alas deleted all the pics except the outside ones.

the green astro turf was the kicker.

and the bumper tuck made it look totally differant in the front and I had 4 spoke cragger SS's on it but sold them. the dog dishes with the red looks good too. hummm........ wonder if those caps will fit the stang 13's?
              Last edited by loknlode; 04-18-2012, 11:03 AM.
              admit nothing - deny everything - make accusations

Comment

THAT WAS YOU!!!!! Cue the music. "It's a small world...."
                There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

My son and I are working on this right now, I was just adding an album to my User CP here. We are using a combination of Peel and Seal and carpet pad foam. We did the entire inside surface of the outer skin of the doors, as well as the entire floor will soon be done. Inside the quarters, and rear hatch will be done as well. I have had great luck with the peel and seal, it has a slight smell the first day or so, but not after a few days, even in the Texas heat. Seems to stick great, and the Festy is starting to sound like a Mercury instead of a Kia! lol You should be able to see the album I posted, if not, I can send a link to my website page. We are on the 5th or 6th roll of Peel and Seal at I think it was 12 bucks a roll? and that should be all we will need to cover all we can except the roof. That can be another day.
                  Last edited by mikeohlh; 05-29-2012, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeohlh View Post
                    My son and I are working on this right now, I was just adding an album to my User CP here. We are using a combination of Peel and Seal and carpet pad foam. We did the entire inside surface of the outer skin of the doors, as well as the entire floor will soon be done. Inside the quarters, and rear hatch will be done as well. I have had great luck with the peel and seal, it has a slight smell the first day or so, but not after a few days, even in the Texas heat. Seems to stick great, and the Festy is starting to sound like a Mercury instead of a Kia! lol You should be able to see the album I posted, if not, I can send a link to my website page. We are on the 5th or 6th roll of Peel and Seal at I think it was 12 bucks a roll? and that should be all we will need to cover all we can except the roof. That can be another day.
                    Where does one acquire Peel and Seal? Big-box hardware stores?

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Any word on that Peel & Seal?

Comment

Lowes and contractors stores.

Comment

I just want to make sure when I do mine that it does not lead to moisture control and/or rust & mildew issues.

A combination of bedliner (several coats perhaps), expanding foam (carefully placed and used) and roll insulation should be best, IMO.

I'm thinking about brushing the bedliner onto the interior of all the pillars and the roof, as well as the cargo area.

Karl
                          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

i have done my roof with a form of "peel and seal" and also used foam rubber with heat shielding (to keep the heat in on colder days) and this also has the added "side effect" of sound deadening and i can feel bas coming from the back to the front. The idea of doing the hatch will have to come when i swapout the wiper motor so the wiper lays flat instead of to the left-hand side.

just to give you the heads up, the measurements that worked well with the roof was as follows:

First three sections (Working front to back) 82mm x 105mm approx
                            Last section (Boot section) 92mm x 105mm

Remove the liner, insert peel n seal, then add rubber matting, replace roof liner and taa daa.

Be my guest to peeling and sealing the actual roof liner but the thickness of the foam rubber might be an issue. have fun.
                            Last edited by jawbraeka; 06-21-2012, 08:43 PM.
                            Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
                            Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
                            Highway - 7.32L/100km
                            City - yet to be determined.

Comment

.Sound deadener showdown on the Wayback Machine.

Back to the future with mass loaded vinyl.
                              Last edited by bravekozak; 05-13-2015, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X