Remote Start with Keyless Entry Install How-To

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Start with Keyless Entry Install How-To

I can't wait to use the key fob to unlock my car! To unlock it, I currently have to go through the passenger's side (DS key lock broken) which can be a hassle with a backpack on. Otherwise, I have my passengers trained to unlock my door after I let them in, hahaha.

After doing some shopping, and having had good experiences installing other Scytek kits, I bought a barebones Scytek G40RS. It features remote keyless entry with remote start, from sonicelectronix'(s?) ebay store for $40. A few things sold here to forum members funded the project, thanks guys! [Just saw it on their webstore for $33... dang!]

I do drive an automatic Festiva, but there are reasonable kits, like the Scytek Astra 1000RS, that can remote start a manual transmission car. They do require that you get out of the car in a certain sequence to be remote started. (Might be boring, skip the rest of this paragraph if you want.) Sitting in the car, with the engine running and transmission in neutral, pull the e-brake and press the remote start button. It will take over the key's function of running the engine and Scytek calls it 'pit-stop mode'. Take the keys out of the ignition and exit the car. Shut and lock the doors with the remote, then press the remote start button to kill the engine. When you need to restart, just hold down the remote start button for a few seconds. If the sequence hasn't been disrupted by the doors being opened, the brakes being depressed, etc... your car will start.

I've got next week off work, the kit is in transit, and my cousin just so happens to have a heated garage... I hope to document the installation including installing door lock actuators, proper wiring with solder/heatshrink/fuses, and a video of the first remote start up.

Mods, I looked around the forum and decided to post this here (car audio's description included car alarm). If anybody is interested, I'll compile it into sticky form when I'm all done.

For the time being, here's a simple, popular example of my how-to work:

-Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

I had keyless locks on both of my aspires... A long time ago, and many festivas ago, I had someone break out my rear side window to get my box that I only had paid $60 for out of my hatch. A few months later, I lost my back window to stereo thieves again... I'd MUCH rather lose my amp/sub, or even head unit, than have the hassle and cost of replacing glass. I leave my doors open always now.

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
    1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
    1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
    1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
    1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
    1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
    1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

Cool, looking forward to this wright up! I just installed a remote start in mine about 2 months ago. If I can assist in any way, I would be happy to help you.
      It is pretty simple in our little cars, and there is nothing like seeing poeple take notice of a Festival firing up with nobody inside.

Comment

Festiva* SPELL CHECK!!!

Comment

Emailed them and got a refund for the difference. The kit will be here tomorrow!
          -Zack

Comment

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...r-Install-HELP!

This is my thread i started but didnt get much help, i ended up getting another DD

I started a wiring chart for a 323 gtx, the wiring is the same though so it might help with a connection or two. Good luck cant wait to see a writeup!!!

Comment

Hey Zach! That looks cool! When are you planning on doing this? I have Monday and Tuesday off and it would be cool to help out and learn as I would love to put one In my festy.

Comment

Greg, I've got school Monday and Wednesday all day, but Tuesday I don't have class until 3. Maybe Tuesday morning we can get a good jump on it? I'll text you, dood.

With the $7 paypal balance (from them reimbursing the difference), I bought a Scytek Door Lock Relay Module. Wasn't part of the plans, but it ended up to be cheaper than buying relays and sockets individually to do the same job. That will make installation a lot easier; it'll be more plug and play.

The kit arrived, sorry no pictures yet. It came with different remotes than listed, but they're the same style as the one's I've installed before. Really good range on them. I could start my Grand Marquis from the locker room of my gym to the car all the way across the parking lot.
                -Zack

Comment

Ok, sounds good man.

Comment

nice work.. good luck with the install.
                    Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
                    Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
                    Highway - 7.32L/100km
                    City - yet to be determined.

Comment

I'm keeping an eye on this.
                      I was eying the four door lock kit on their website. Then possibly pairing that with an alarm/remote start.
                      ~Austin
                      Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Time to get rollin'. Got all the poop in a group.
                        -Zack

Comment

Boxes:

Unpacking:

G40RS

Door Lock Relay Module:
                          -Zack

Comment

It runs! Buttoning it up and going to get dinner because I'm famished. I'll start writing tomorrow
                            -Zack

Comment

Actions (and videos) speak louder than words...

*Click the pic* video of the initial test of the door lock actuator.

I used the metal rod (sticking out of the box, pic below) to link the actuator to the stock door lock rod. To clamp the rods together, a few aisles over, I found two small cable clamps (pic below that).

I figure you guys are here for the remote start though... Ask if you want more pics or directions for the door locks.
                              -Zack

Comment

Working...
                              X