No announcement yet.

Questions about replacing the speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kicker is the way to go. 5.25 or 4x6 will work in the back with just a little work.

If you want bigger. speakers in the doors and speakers in boxes in the rear is not that hard. maybe a weekend job.

Comment

Let me 'slain ...

your unit is prolly 8 ohm or 4 ohm output, you cant drive 2 ohm speakers with 8 or 4. This is why they are not loud.

Match the speakers to the output of the unit

EDIT: Checked, your unit is 4-8 ohm
      Last edited by drddan; 05-22-2016, 05:14 PM.
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
        Let me 'slain ...

your unit is prolly 8 ohm or 4 ohm output, you cant drive 2 ohm speakers with 8 or 4. This is why they are not loud.

Match the speakers to the output of the unit

EDIT: Checked, your unit is 4-8 ohm
        His speakers are 4 ohm speakers they will work fine. The older stock speakers probably allowed for lower frequencies which would be why it isn't as loud anymore. Bigger speakers would make up for that though.
        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
        sigpic
        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Find a set that has 92dB W/M or higher rating, that will fix most of the issue, then add in bass blockers or use the internal crossover.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

If the speakers are too quiet, I'm thinking your random JVC is on the low-end side and not pumping out enough wattage for decent speakers. It's happened to me. If this is the issue, you will need a radio upgrade to un-quiet the speakers. About 50 watts per channel should do it, say around $100. This would just be the least radio I would ever consider. I like Pioneers because they are known to have good radio reception.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Too rich for my blood. I was hoping to get enough to fill the front and rear
                1993 Festiva - White/Black - 5 speed

Comment

Worry about the front, you really don't hear the rear as much as you think. Put the Kickers back there. Then throw this under the passenger seat: SOUND STORM LOPRO8 8 inch 600-watt Amplified Subwoofer System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0082YUR7M..._w8UrxbST3GBT1

Comment

Is the sub 100% necessary in order to hear the speakers well? If so I'll
                    just use my little wireless bluetooth speaker and deal with a lack of sound.
                    I mostly drive my old Insight and it has some nice Polk speakers from the PO
                    so I'm not too worried if this car cant have decent sound. I was just looking
                    to do it if I could have it all said and done under $100
                    1993 Festiva - White/Black - 5 speed

Comment

Not 100% , but you'd be taxing the speaker's otherwise to get any real volume out of them.

Start with the mtx units or infinity reference and go from there, but no matter what you choose, make sure you have some kind of bass blocking device for the speakers. That will increase the life and perceived volume AND quality.

Also read post 10 in this thread if you missed it
                      Last edited by FestYboy; 05-27-2016, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X