Aspire trans in festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire trans in festiva

Is the aspire trans better or worse than stock? It bolts up 100% correct? Are the different gear ratios better?
    89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
    RIP 90LX

the tranny will bolt up no problem, i do beleive the aspire tranny has a different gear ratio to compensate for the heavier car, but i'm not sure what it is

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

It would feel like more of todays car, short gears, srorty. You would shift more, but I think the gear ratios would help in daily/fun driving.

Kev

Comment

The front mount is also different. I have not done the swap, but that is what everybody has said that has done it. If I remember correctly, the main difference between the festiva and the aspire tranny was fifth gear. They changed fifth gear in the aspire tranny to help with fuel economy. Bigger car, less rpms in fifth, same fuel economy.
        The Festiva Store
        Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

I wonder if it would be better for mileage in a festiva?
          If it dosent bolt up though i wont bother. I was just considering it because i need a new trans and it would be easier to find a low mileage aspire trans.
          89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
          RIP 90LX

Comment

If fifth allows for lower rpm, then since the Festiva is lighter and uses the same engine I would assume the mileage would be even better than before. Hmmmmmmmm makes me think!
            -Bryant

Comment

from what i understand it bolts right in. They just modified the front mount slightly. I just can't remember what exactly had to be done. I know it was simple though. I would volunteer to go up there and help you do this swap, but I am getting married in 2.5 weeks, and am fairly busy right now.
              The Festiva Store
              Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

I read here that the gear ratios are the same, just the final drive ratio is different. On my aspire I have higher rpms in 5th gear. In the festy I cruise at 3k rpm around 70 mph. In the aspire, 3k rpm is only 65 mph.

Comment

A guy at work put a festiva trans in his aspire, and he had to fab up a mount. Also, two of the holes on the bell housing don't lign up with either the block or the flywheel cover, i don't remember which two. I think its OK to just leave them off though, they weren't critical.

since i haven't done it myself all i know is there was some modding/welding done for that one mount, but perhaps it could be done some other way.
                  ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                  91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                  1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                  2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Maybe swap the whole crossmember over and mount from the aspire to avoid this....i don't know never toyed with this trans swap idea.
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

gear ratios ARE the same, EXCEPT for the final gear (diff). swapping out the festy trans for an aspire will net higher trap speeds at the strip or better lap times for you scca events.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

wouldn't the tranny mounts between the aspire and festiva tranny be interchangable?

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

ive seen it go both ways here. guess ill find out when i try to put my 97 aspire trans into my 4 speed festiva.
                          1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

My understanding is that the Aspire has a lower final drive ratio (higher numerically). Also, the mounts are different. You're supposed to just be able to swap mounts.

This is all "what I've heard."

I do plan on putting an Aspire ATX in my ATX Festiva, for better low end acceleration and hopefully, the Aspire lockup torque convertor will make up for the difference on the freeway.

Roger at FMS has remarked to me that Aspire MTXs were cheaper made than the Festiva counterparts. I think he said the bearings weren't as good. That didn't apply to ATXs.

Karl
                            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Ok here's the facts, Trans gears 1-5 are the same in both transmissions. It's the final drives that are different, thats not the same as say....a different 5th gear. They achieve this final drive by making the diff gear in the aspire trans a 69 tooth and the sun gear a 17 tooth. So 69 divided by 17 makes a 4.05 to 1 ratio. With the festiva trans they put a 68 tooth diff. gear with a 18 tooth sun gear to get a 3.77 to 1 ratio. So in theory, a festiva trans placed in a aspire would make for a slower "take off" rate and a higher top end. Conversely an aspire trans placed in a festiva would make it launch faster but top out sooner. Also, the one mount is different, but when you get the trans from your source, get that front mount as well, I'm sure they'll throw it in the deal......if they still have one.
                              97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                              CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                              Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Working...
                              X