Tranny + Shaft Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny + Shaft Options

I have a mildly modded B3 Aspire. Full exhaust system, and some intake work.

My stock clutch was burnt out from the car being hammerd for the last 2 years. This was replsced with an exedy HD clutch in july this year. Around april last year new CV joints and shafts were fitted because the stock ones were failing. When the mechanic changed the clutch it was noticed that there was shaft warpage and joint deteritation, caused by "excessively high and repated hard lunches". basicaaly he said that the shafts had triwsted becuase i launch the car off the lights at high RPM.

I managed to get the shafts replaced under warrenty after alot of bitching, even thou i broke them. My concer now is that these shafts are piss weak and that it wont be long before i break them again. Does any1 have any suggestions for a tranny + shaft combination that will see longer life then the stock shafts.

My car is driven hard on a daily basis, and is commonly lunched at high rpm. I didnt think that OEM spec shafts would be able to be warped to the point of failure by my driving style, on a not very powerful engine. Just wanting some opinions and options from you guys. I do plan for more poweful engine setup in the long run aswel.

Thanks guys
    1996 GLi Festiva
    Clarion DB36MP
    Xplod 16cm XS-GF1621X (x4)
    Pioneer 30cm TS-W305C
    ALPINE MRP-F250

The trans will fail before the shafts. It is the weak link. Never heard of shaft warpage. I think the mechanic might have been trying to take advantage of you. As far as upgrades for a tranny for the b3 there are a few. 323GT and the capri XR2 are the strongest. Way overkill for any b3. Also you could look at the N/A capri or the323 from the late 80's. They have stronger trans than the festiva.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

I second Matt's view on the mechanic taking advantage of you. I suppose, that's one of the reasons that most of us work on our own cars. In the 15 years I've been driving I've never brought my car to a mechanic.
      90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
      92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
      94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
      94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

Got the shafts replaced for free, and he did the labour for free, so he lost out if that was the case.

I didnt have the time or resoucres to do my own clutch job the time, and i needed the car working, so i didnt hav much option

I did hear that there is an F series tranny thats like the stronger verison of our stock one? Would that be the one thats in the 323's???
        1996 GLi Festiva
        Clarion DB36MP
        Xplod 16cm XS-GF1621X (x4)
        Pioneer 30cm TS-W305C
        ALPINE MRP-F250

Comment

Working...
        X