G25mr axle idea! (could work!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G25mr axle idea! (could work!)

Would it be possible to remove the passenger axle cups(black part that goes into the tranny) from two protege LXs, and replace them with the ones on the 88-89 323/tracer axles to create a pair of axles for a G25mr swapped car eliminating the need for half-shafts.

If no one knows, I might have to go the the junkyard after finals are over next week and try to create a pair of Frankenstein axles. It would be sweet if this could work. It would make the bp/g25mr swap much easier on me.

What do you guys think? Do you understand what I am talking about?

Kevin

Worth a try.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

But you know what I mean right?

Kevin

Comment

it could possible work. They aren't splined like the outside hubs, instead there are 3 circle things. Hard to explain, you would have to see a picture, but if these are the same size it could work. You would have to try them out.
        The Festiva Store
        Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

I know what they are like on the inside. I had to rip an aspire one open at the yard because the axle bolt wouldn't come off there. I think they are bearings. I am pumped up now. I really want to try this. If it works, we could ask an OEM axle replacement company to build us some custom axles!!!

Kevin

Comment

you mean basically swapping the inner CV joints, by taking the shaft out of the protege inner CV joint and putting the shaft into the 323/tracer CV joint? (That sounded dirty :lol

i hope this works!!

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

just measure the outside Dia. before tearing anything apart... if it's close, then go for it, but the outside dimention sould give you a good clue if it'll work or not.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

go to a local cv rebuilder and bring both axles down, show him what you need and he should be able to build one out of 2.

Comment

Yeah and have horrible torque steer. Ever read the '00 issue about cam's festiva? Floor it & it jumps into the other lane.
                  It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

My axle idea would cause that???

Kevin

Comment

Your idea wouldn't cause this; having unequal lenght shafts would. Maybe a torque biasing diff like a Quaife would help?
                      The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Comment

even an LSD doesn't fully cure this issue. Chrysler did LOTS of research on torque steer back in the early 80's. They discovered the primary cause of TS is the operating angle of the CV joints. The axle with the greatest operating angle transmits less torque to the wheel than the other axle. This is because the greater operating angle places more parasitic load on the driveline (greater angle = more 'drag'). To combat this, Chrysler tried several solutions. First was setting the total toe excessively out, so the front wheels pointed away from the center of the car, like putting your heels together, but having your toes 6" apart. They also tried slightly different toe settings for each side. Next, they twisted the powertrain in the engine compartment. They lowered the driver side, and raised the passenger side, and pulled the passenger side slightly forward. This helped place the driver side halfshaft at a less severe operating angle, while increaseing the OA of the passenger side. This helped more, but was still not a cure. They solution they discovered was to add an intermediate shaft for the passenger side, pushing the passenger side inner cv jointfurther out, increasing the OA of the passenger side axle to near identical that of the driver side. Equal operating angles greatly reduces torque steer, which is now more of a traction issue.
                        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

^^ Great info!!!!

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I've often wondered about the inner cv's being swappable. It sure would make things easier.

Comment

Are there any shops that custom make intermediate shafts? Do any any axle companies do this?
                              Building on a budget sucks

Comment

Working...
                              X