Short Shifter Writeup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Shifter Writeup

This is a guide for installing a Honda adjustable shot shifter into your Festiva using the Honda OEM shift lever ball seat and dust boot for a true fit!

This shifter not only looks great but is very functional.

Credit for shift lever goes to Will Samet!

Shift lever ball seat and dust boot was my little experiment and it worked!

Cost for me was $65 all bought from eBay.

PARTS NEEDED

- Shifter lever ball seat # 54110-sh3-003
    - Dust seal # 54115-sh3-000
    - Adjustable civic short shifter ( or any Honda short shifter of your choice )
    - Shift Knob ( 10x1.5 thread)

PHOTOS OF PARTS

STEPS

Remove factory shift lever.

Start by modifying the dust boot area that fits around the ball seat. It must be ground down almost paper thin to supply enough clearance to slide down into the assembly.
    I also cut the top ring off as it bulged out as i tried to press the ball seat and dust boot into the assembly and caused it not to go down any farther.
    If you can get it all thin enough this may not be required.
    I found it easiest to install the ball seat and bushing onto the shifter to add support and used a bench grinder to slowly remove material until i was able to install it.
    It took a few times to get it right and it is a very tight fit. Use grease to help it slide in better.

MAKE SURE YOU ADJUST THE BALL ON THE SHIFTER LIKE YOU WANT IT BEFORE YOU INSTALL IT!
    I screwed mine all the way up so my shifts are as short as possible.

This is what is looks like from the bottom once its all the way in

I used the embedded metal part of the factory dust boot as a washer of sorts and placed it down over top after it was all in place

You then reinstall the preload spring.

Use some washers to take up the gap in the linkage. Tighten it down and you done!

Last edited by User93; 12-11-2019, 11:51 PM.

Nice write up and install, looks good, you should post a pic of the shifter dust boot though

Comment

Nice write up and install, looks good, you should post a pic of the shifter dust boot too.

Last edited by Tyler77; 12-13-2019, 10:57 PM. Reason: This should have been an edit not a new post

Comment

I did multiple times. It’s the boot in the photo with the bushing and in my hand and on the shift rod and from under the car. That’s all it is it just keeps stuff from getting up inside the ball from the bottom.
        Last edited by User93; 12-14-2019, 11:02 AM.

Comment

May have discovered a slight issue. Since the Honda bushing is a one piece design and sits lower inside the shift hole it hits in this area when hard shifting into second gear and is causing me to grind into second gear. During normal driving I never have an issue only when I’m slamming the gears. Could possibly be a transmission issue and not due to the geometry change but I’m going to look into it a bit more and will update the write up if I’m able to correct the issue.
          Attached Files

Comment

May have discovered a slight issue. Since the Honda bushing is a one piece design and sits lower inside the shift hole it hits in this area when hard shifting into second gear and is causing me to grind into second gear. During normal driving I never have an issue only when I’m slamming the gears. Could possibly be a transmission issue and not due to the geometry change but I’m going to look into it a bit more and will update the write up if I’m able to correct the issue.
            Attached Files

Comment

Fixed the issue today. Had to remove the dust boot because it will not hold both bushings but I used the original small bushing that goes under the pivot ball with the stock shifter and put it under the Honda shifter bushing as a spacer and now it does not hit anything. Bushing is just a bit loose now without the rubber around it from the dust boot but it works.

Comment

Working...
              X