1993 mazda mx3 1.6L 16v to ‘90 ford festiva L swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 mazda mx3 1.6L 16v to ‘90 ford festiva L swap

I am currently negotiating a price to purchase a 93 mx3 that has a bad transmission. I may go see it tomorrow and decide to get a tow. Is the engine swap possible to do with this engine? Thank you. I am also looking for shops near Detroit, MI that do major repairs and engine swaps.

Paste this in the search bar (without the " "):
    "B6-ME OR B6ME"

Comment

^^
      Physically the same as any B6 swap. But the electonics, Fuel Injection control systems, and ECU are what you have to worry about. They will not be identical, and you will need to search here to get info on what to do for the wiring.
      It is a very feasible swap.
      Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
      Icetiva-3-race-car-build
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

It is NOT physically the same as any B6 swap. Depending on how you mount the engine you may have to clearance the firewall a little to make room for the intake manifold. You will also have to relocate the VAF to the other side of the vehicle which usually means that you have to move the battery to the passenger side to make room. There is a little electrical stuff but it should be pretty easy.
        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
        sigpic
        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

I am a bit of a newb here but because of everyone Who had done engine swaps it inspired me to do one. Although I used a particular year car/engine with not a whole lot of info about, but without these guys I would have never done it.
          I’ve just been working on this same kind of swap, Well almost the same, I used a 1994 mx3 1.6.
          and like ice dawg said, The electronics and wiring are different then the festiva. And in the 94 mx3 the wiring was different enough.
          Rather than wire tracing identifying And resplicing the festiva wiring harness. I found It easier to just remove the entire wiring harness “and install the mx3 harness, routing it where it would fit. Relocating the ecu. A little bit of shortening and lengthening of certain parts are necessary.
          The only wire splicing involved was the rear lights/ fuel pump/heater blower motor and control/ Hazard light switch/rear defroster switch/ a few small things. I was also able to use the MX3 wiper/turn signal combo switch in place of the festiva one, and even the ignition key switch.

and also like firebush said I had to get a slightly smaller battery to fit it on the passenger side
          no firewall cutouts were needed though, just positioned the motor as far forward as possible. And it would be way easier for you if you used the stock festiva E series 5 spd trans.
          i didn’t though I had the Mazda 5spd manual f25 trans.
          anyway good luck. Hope to hear something of it if you go for it
          Last edited by Tyler77; 07-10-2020, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler77 View Post
            I am a bit of a newb here but because of everyone Who had done engine swaps it inspired me to do one. Although I used a particular year car/engine with not a whole lot of info about, but without these guys I would have never done it.
            I’ve just been working on this same kind of swap, Well almost the same, I used a 1994 mx3 1.6.
            and like ice dawg said, The electronics and wiring are different then the festiva. And in the 94 mx3 the wiring was different enough.
            Rather than wire tracing identifying And resplicing the festiva wiring harness. I found It easier to just remove the entire wiring harness “and install the mx3 harness, routing it where it would fit. Relocating the ecu. A little bit of shortening and lengthening of certain parts are necessary.
            The only wire splicing involved was the rear lights/ fuel pump/heater blower motor and control/ Hazard light switch/rear defroster switch/ a few small things. I was also able to use the MX3 wiper/turn signal combo switch in place of the festiva one, and even the ignition key switch.

and also like firebush said I had to get a slightly smaller battery to fit it on the passenger side
            no firewall cutouts were needed though, just positioned the motor as far forward as possible. And it would be way easier for you if you used the stock festiva E series 5 spd trans.
            i didn’t though I had the Mazda 5spd manual f25 trans.
            anyway good luck. Hope to hear something of it if you go for it
            Did you need to weld the transmission cross-member for mounting?

Comment

Originally posted by jurrejonker View Post

Did you need to weld the transmission cross-member for mounting?
              Yes I did I had to cut off the rear angled type mount and bolt in its place a welded bracket, and weld in a riser for the front mount
              So what do you do when you Buy a Ford Festiva that you find out has a externally blown head gasket. blowing fumes and soot in your engine bay You buy a 94 mazda mx3 with a good solid runnin motor with 186 000 km...that rear ended someone.... from a scrap dealer and you put the engine in your festiva! Ive wanted to start this

most of what I’ve done is there, It’s just not up-to-date since my last post

Comment

Working...
              X