distributor with points?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• distributor with points?

anybody ever heard of a point distributor being available in a festiva? or anyone tried making one? i've had so much trouble with the Ignition control modules. seems like the old simple style would be so nice.

me too I loved the old points system and they worked like magic with a transistor assist and I miss them, with the transistor assist the only thing that would wear out was the nylon cam
    "all I ask is the chance to prove that money won't make me happy":simon:

Comment

Not me...I don't miss setting dwell or timing one bit.
      I worked on a '75 302 a couple of months ago...conneting a dwell meter.....connecting a tach...setting the vacuum...adjust the idle mixture....repeat....repeat....adjust the timing...tighten the distributor...double check the timing...start all over...I love electronic ignition.
      Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
      The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

wuss! :p
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

you could just use the pickup stator to drive an MSD box, and loose the ignitor module in the dizzy.
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by jglutz View Post
            Not me...I don't miss setting dwell or timing one bit.
            I worked on a '75 302 a couple of months ago...conneting a dwell meter.....connecting a tach...setting the vacuum...adjust the idle mixture....repeat....repeat....adjust the timing...tighten the distributor...double check the timing...start all over...I love electronic ignition.
            After 2 VW's a 71 Nova you can keep your old school. And yes that does make me a wuss.
            Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

Based on the electrical system in my old house, I am devising a knob & tube ignition for those who want to be Reallly old school.

yep, keep those points, I'll stick with the newer stuff. I'm even getting an electronic module for the dizzy in my '69 Fastback VW.
              If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
              Mark S.

Comment

I must have reset the amazing jumping dwell half a dozen times on the 73 (too cheap to replace the dizzy) I just jumped straight to the igniter for the 71 Super/ My buddys nova was actually a breeze, had this niffty little door on the cap
                Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

Ahh. Anything with no adjustment, how sweet you are. Please keep your old school, I'll take relible new school any day.

Comment

New stuff here too.

Every car that I ever owned, if it had points, they were leaving first.
                    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Oh I forgot....take the distributor out and clean the centrifigal weights....put the distributor back in....skip a tooth....idles great....cann't accelerate....start again.
                      Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                      The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

I'll stick with electronic too. I put a Crane Cams ignition system in my '89 after my 2nd ignitor went bad and it seems to be indestructible. Ebay - $20.00. Easy to install but the wire that adjusts the timing down when it idles isn't there. Doesn't seem to make any difference and it gets 40 MPG in the city.

Comment

Working...
                        X