Cleaning engine components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning engine components

I'm in the process of dismantling both my B3 engines. I wanna clean up the heads, blocks, pistons, and so on. I'm just gonna keep it all stored for a while before I can start throwing money at it. What would you suggest for cleaning?

Machine Shop Hot and Cold tanks. If you store them for a long period I would coat the machined surfaces with Vasoline.
    Chuck
    Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
    If money will fix it, it's not broken
    91 GL -Ol' Rusty
    93 GL - Lil Red
    91 L - Tweetystiva
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Will it matter if I put them through hot and cold tanks before or after? They're gonna be kept indoors btw.

Comment

even if there stored indoors its best to coat them cause any moisture on bare metal will rust

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

After they're cleaned, spray them all over with WD-40 (or rub with Vasoline), place them in heavy duty trash bags, then get your vacuum out and vacuum seal them.
          Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
          '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
          '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

paint everything with a graphite based paint

I am the original

Comment

get them hot tanked and spray with wd-40. then stick in a bag and vacuum seal it.... so what they said ^^^ lol....

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
              1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

So I should hot tank them before storing them? What's that cost?

Comment

Originally posted by thered56 View Post
                  So I should hot tank them before storing them? What's that cost?
                  yes. it shouldnt cost that much... i got my block, head, pistons, rods, crank, VC, OP and the thing inside the oil pan all done for 25 bucks... but i got it done all in one shot and i heard that was a good deal on that... try phoning around to machine shops and ask how much it will be to hot tank what ever you need done...
                  Last edited by sasquatch; 07-24-2009, 03:49 AM.

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                  1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
                    yes. it shouldnt cost that much... i got my block, head, pistons, rods, crank, VC, OP and the thing inside the oil pan all done for 25 bucks... but i got it done all in one shot and i heard that was a good deal on that... try phoning around to machine shops and ask how much it will be to hot tank what ever you need done...
                    Oh wow, I just heard machine shop and thought it'd cost a bit more I guess. haha I suppose I can afford that! Thanks a lot guys!

Now, what are the advantages to each of your suggestions for coating the parts? Vasoline vs graphite based paint vs WD-40? I like the sound of Vasoline, but I don't know which would be better, or if it makes much of a difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X