Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads

I was wondering if the B3 head has a smaller combustion chamber than a b6 head :scratch: ....I know that the b3 head might not flow as well but i figured that porting the head and having bigger valves installed along with something like the fms racing camshaft or something like that might pick the flow back up and produce more power with the higher compression......thats only if the combustion chamber is smaller on the b3 head than the b6......
    (90 festiva lx STOCK)
    (Transmission is going)
    (b6 swap maybe)
    (Working on interior-Navy Blue paint on the dash)
    MY OTHER CAR......
    1986 cutlass supreme
    Engine: Rebuilt SS 305 crane cam,weiand,3 angle valve job/port and polish,.030 over..
    Trans: Rebuilt Th-350 trans-go shift kit
    Rear axle: Monte ss 10 bolt 3.73 Limited slip

The b6 has a larger chamber. The Festiva intake valve is shrouded about 1/4 of the way around, maybe to promote swirl in the chamber. Since the B6 has a larger intake valve the chamber had to be opened up.

This is the b6 chamber.
    Last edited by NovaSS; 10-29-2009, 04:02 AM.
    money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

Originally posted by NovaSS View Post
      The Festiva intake valve is shrouded about 1/4 of the way around, maybe to promote swirl in the chamber.
      exactly.

and, by opening up the chamber in the B3 head for the larger valve, you virtually end up with the same chamber volume as the B6 head.
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Wow you guys are smart.
        Neil

Jesus loves me. This I know.

93 L track prep in progress
        88? Parts car-sold
        91 L B6-me f25mr-soon to be ???
        86 b2000- pisses of HOA-sold
        1997 k1500 suburban- kid hauler/GAS hog

Comment

Originally posted by gorgonheimer View Post
          Wow you guys are smart.
          Hmmmm....could this be SARCASM?!?!?
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

easy guys, no flames.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

no sarcasm. they are talking about fluid dynamics or whatever, thats like genius type stuff. i wish i new all that stuff. just when i think i have enough gray matter i come across these guys.
              Neil

88? Parts car-sold

Comment

nah, it's EASY! just know that you're better off slapping on a B6 head that has had the exhaust runner shelf removed and decked .020".

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                  easy guys, no flames.
                  Just kiddin' around. Probably shoulda put a smiley at the end. I figured he knew them and was just giving them some jazz.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

what about head porting a bp? any tips or tricks?
                    Neil

88? Parts car-sold

Comment

are there any aftermarket heads or dome pistons that are for the b6....I know that if you deck a head .010 it will only bring the compression up 1 point thats just a rule of thumb my teacher told me.... for example: 9.1:1 after a .010 deck would only bump the compression to 9.2:1....plus if i ever decide to do rebuild and need to deck the head because its warped i want to make sure the deck of the head is thick enough to keep the head from warping again....oh btw i was thinking of doing a b8 swap but changed it to a b6 swap to make my girlfriend happy she thinks i should try to keep it close to stock i have one toy already that she doesnt like.........
                      (90 festiva lx STOCK)
                      (Transmission is going)
                      (b6 swap maybe)
                      (Working on interior-Navy Blue paint on the dash)
                      MY OTHER CAR......
                      1986 cutlass supreme
                      Engine: Rebuilt SS 305 crane cam,weiand,3 angle valve job/port and polish,.030 over..
                      Trans: Rebuilt Th-350 trans-go shift kit
                      Rear axle: Monte ss 10 bolt 3.73 Limited slip

Comment

Originally posted by gorgonheimer View Post
                        what about head porting a bp? any tips or tricks?
                        The intake port doesnt look too bad, the exhaust port has the strangest shape, a 90 degree turn that has to flow like crap. I would round out the floor a little, clean up the seats ( blend job) and leave it at that.

As for decking a (wrapped) head. What works on a OHV doesnt always work on a OHC head. If you want to pump up the CR on a good head okay. A wrapped head not only screws up the gasket surface but also warps the cam journal alignment. Not worth the money to correct on a b3/ b6 head far as Im concerned.
                        Last edited by NovaSS; 10-30-2009, 12:39 AM.
                        money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

i saw a 323 in the junk yard , the head said bd on it .. is that the same as a b6?

Comment

Originally posted by (90festivalx) View Post
                            are there any aftermarket heads or dome pistons that are for the b6....I know that if you deck a head .010 it will only bring the compression up 1 point thats just a rule of thumb my teacher told me.... for example: 9.1:1 after a .010 deck would only bump the compression to 9.2:1....plus if i ever decide to do rebuild and need to deck the head because its warped i want to make sure the deck of the head is thick enough to keep the head from warping again....oh btw i was thinking of doing a b8 swap but changed it to a b6 swap to make my girlfriend happy she thinks i should try to keep it close to stock i have one toy already that she doesnt like.........
                            do the B8 swap, that'll afford you the option of using high comp pistons from a miata. and that "rule of thumb" doesn't apply to smaller engines.

Comment

Originally posted by (90festivalx) View Post
                              sounds like somebody is jealous
                              Neil

88? Parts car-sold

Comment

Working...
                              X