Will a B3 head fit on a B6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a B3 head fit on a B6?

I have a 8 valve mazda 323 that needs a new head and all I can find are B3 in the junkyard
    From reading here I learned that the valves are different size. But, I am asking if the B3 head will simply bolt on and run decent. Not going to be racing...well racing past the gas pumps maybe

I appreciate any learned responses

i think i've read that they do but i'm not sure on it, you could always buy a B3 head gasket and compare it to your B6 block

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

For some reason, I'm thinking the coolant passages are different. Let me dig around a bit more.

Okay, just cause I have no life, here's what I found. On Autozone's website, the parts numbers for the 1.3 and the 1.6 HG are different.

Pic of the 1.6 HG

1.3L Head Gasket

1988 Mazda 323 SOHC Head Gasket Kit

Part Number:
      HS9461B-1
      Weight:
      0.91 lbs
      Notes:
      Combine with lower set to make full set. Permadry molded rubber valve cover gaskets and Premium valve stem seals included. Exhaust manifold heat shield not included. Head bolts not included.
      Sku:
      Description:
      Head Gasket Set
      Quantity:
      Abrasion And Chemical Resistant:
      Yes
      Inner-Molded Flex-Cord Fibers:
      Yes
      Chemical Resistant:
      Yes
      Heat And O-Zone Resistant:
      Yes
      Shipping Information:
      Overnight and Two Day shipping are not available for PO Box, APO/FPO/DPO or US Territory addresses.

1988 Mazda 323 SOHC Head Gasket

Part Number:
      9461PT
      Weight:
      0.6 lbs
      Notes:
      PermaTorque?
      Material:
      Graphite Facing W/Perforated Steel Core.
      Bore Size:
      Bore Shape:
      Round.
      Shipping Information:
      Overnight and Two Day shipping are not available for PO Box, APO/FPO/DPO or US Territory addresses.

1989 Ford Festiva SOHC Head Gasket Set

Part Number: HS9555B
      Weight: 1.05 lbs Notes: Combine With Lower Set to Make Full Set; Permadry molded rubber valve cover gasket and premium valve stem seals included. Head bolts not included
      Shipping Information: Overnight and Two Day shipping are not available for PO Box, APO/FPO/DPO or US Territory addresses.

1989 Ford Festiva SOHC Head Gasket
      Part Number: 9555PT
      Weight: 0.25 lbs Notes: PermaTorque?
      Material: Graphite Facing W/Perforated Steel Core. Bore Size: 2.95 Bore Shape: Round. Shipping Information: Overnight and Two Day shipping are not available for PO Box, APO/FPO/DPO or US Territory addresses.

Definitely not a direct swap-perfect fit scenario, but in a pinch, I guess it could work for a bit. Anyone else?
      Last edited by batstiva; 11-08-2009, 11:08 AM.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Thanks for quick responses. The U-pull-it yard is shredding alot of these type cars recently. I have to move fast.

I am researching but have not found much. The intake/exhaust might not bolt on. ( it is hard to tell which generation is being spoken of.)

I have to travel near 100 miles to pull the head myself and then compare.
        The Mazda boards are not as good as this one, no help there....and a B3 head on a B6 might get me banned there!

I want to put a 1.3 head on a 1.6 block. These are 8 valve SOHC fuel injected engines.

Comment

i know the first generation B6's exhaust manifolds do inteerchange with the B3's if that clears up a little bit for ya

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
            i know the first generation B6's exhaust manifolds do inteerchange with the B3's if that clears up a little bit for ya
            That is something I read: That the exhuast ports were not the same shape and maybe bolt pattern different. Again I dont know which engine we are talking about. "First generation" means different things to different people/places. I have a B6- E.

There are at least 2 festiva's in the yard. Complete, as far as I know.

I remember an Isuzu pickup that could use the smaller size heads (2.3 on a 2.6). I think it was bolt on. Performance improvement.

Thanks to all

Comment

I will have to check part numbers
              I found this

Comment

by first genereation i mean 88-89 323 B6 SOHC

Comment

Only difference in the gaskets is the width between cylinders, which my cause a loss of compression depending on which gasket you use. May also cause carbon build-up in those areas.
                  Last edited by hotfordcat; 11-08-2009, 12:10 PM.
                  Chuck
                  Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
                  If money will fix it, it's not broken
                  91 GL -Ol' Rusty
                  93 GL - Lil Red
                  91 L - Tweetystiva
                  http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
                  http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Yes I think the B6 gasket should be used.

Parts diagram I see has "valve shudders" on the intake. I am sure the B6 does not have them.

Comment

What part of the country are you in? The reason I ask is I have a b6e that I just pulled out of my festy. It has oil burning issues, but I think it is rings. If you live anywhere in southeast Texas you are welcome to it. Let me know.
                      Rick
                      1990 Festiva L
                      Bp swap, stock tranny

[

Comment

what year B6 (year of the car, year of the block doesn't matter)? knowing this will clear up your question very quickly
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

manxbuggy1 - I am north of Houston 600 miles I would guess

FestYboy- this is an 1988 Mazda 323. As far as I know it the original engine.

Comment

then all you need is a festiva or aspire head, everything else you have will bolt right up w/o modification. though i do recomend you remove the exhaust valves and smooth out the short turn radius of the exhaust runner, there's a hard edge "shelf" that needs smoothed out. if you slide your finger along the bottom of the runner in tward the valve seat, you'll see what i mean.
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thank you very much for the info.

The only heads I could find at the U pull yard were B3. Those engines looked exactly like the B6. I had to double check the casting stamp.

Will I find a write up here on how much to grind from the exhaust port?
                              Will opening the exhaust downstream have the same affect?

REMINDER: I am putting a B3 head on a B6 engine. That is backward to what you will see on this board.

I was also wondering if the cutouts in the piston will now be in the wrong place? If so, will I be safe to grind them out without cutting through?

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                              then all you need is a festiva or aspire head, everything else you have will bolt right up w/o modification. .
                              okay, I have your word as a gentleman and a scholar?

If I put this B3 head on, do you think this B6 will run decent? What if any issues do you forsee?

have you heard or seen this done?

thanks.
                              Last edited by nonamekid; 11-12-2009, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X