how do i get the diff out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i get the diff out?

hey im trying to replace the diff in one of my stock festiva transmissions... im lost lol.. i cant figgure out how to get the gears off the shafts to make room for the diff to come out... how do i take the gears off the shafts? any pics would be awesome

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
    1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

You don't take the gears off the shafts. You need to remove the detent balls and springs, drive out the roll pins in the shift forks, remove the shift forks and shafts and then lift out the gears as an assembly. You REALLY should have a factory service manual to follow to do it. If you don't have one, perhaps someone on here has a manual on a CD that they send you some instructions. I have had several apart, but I wouldn't want to take one apart without having the manual handy as a guide.
    You gonna race that thing?
    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

I'll be doing a g series tear down write up in a few days. The festy trans should be similar.
      Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

Here is some good write-up of how to put a phantom grip in a G5M-R/G25M-R tranny so it explain how to disassemble it
        one from club protege

and an other one from imazda
        Last edited by Maxtiva; 02-15-2010, 12:16 PM.

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

Originally posted by shorestiva View Post
          I'll be doing a g series tear down write up in a few days. The festy trans should be similar.
          Originally posted by Maxtiva View Post
          Here is some good write-up of how to put a phantom grip in a G5M-R/G25M-R tranny so it explain how to disassemble it
          one from club protege

and an other one from imazda
          http://www.imazda.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2701
          Which are stickies in this very forum

That imazda write-up is very detailed and its the one i followed when i did my diff swap and when i installed Maxtiva's phantom grip

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

sweet thanks

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
            1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Working...
            X