what transmission is this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flyin4stroke View Post
    you bought a project car.. Its gonna be like this for as long as you own it.. At least that is how mine is.. Pull it into the garage once a week and give it a once over and make sure everything is correct.. lol cant live with it and cant live without it!

Try to find a g-series and you wont have to mess with it at all if you are easy on her..
    i pmed a few people on clubprotege. hopefully something comes through

meanwhile, the previous owner sent these axles along. he said they will go with the tranny he sent along. i counted the splines and there are 24 on the wheel side, and 22 on the tranny side. wouldnt this make them for an e-series tranny?

Comment

Yes and since they have a abs ring im guessing they're for a aspire.
      Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

If the tranny side is 22 spline, then they are for an Eseries.

You'll have to spend some $$ to get everything you need for a G swap.

For now, I'd find an aspire/festiva trans and baby it till your ready. My .02c
        -Greg
        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
        Redneck Engineer
        FOTY - '09
        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post

hmm maybe this is a good idea. at least until i can round up the parts and the weather gets better. anybody have an aspire tranny for sale?

is the e25m any better than the e5m?
          Last edited by Ghost; 02-15-2010, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post

X2. The F series is a step up from the Aspire, but still not quite up to task. With 240 WHP, you'll be just beyond the "service factor" of the G series. If you had a N/A BP, I would say do the F series swap, but since we're talking custom mounts, new clutch, axles and all, no point in doing it twice! Just find another Festiva or Aspire trans to bolt back in until you acquire all the parts you need for a G series swap.

Just to throw it out there, what about an Auto trans from a Protege? An auto is a little more forgiving and you may be able to find a shop that can beef one up for a little extra capacity. The turbo will respond well to an A/T and you can afford to lose a little HP. Might even help with the traction issue. Not sure what would be needed for the swap.
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
              X2. The F series is a step up from the Aspire, but still not quite up to task. With 240 WHP, you'll be just beyond the "service factor" of the G series. If you had a N/A BP, I would say do the F series swap, but since we're talking custom mounts, new clutch, axles and all, no point in doing it twice! Just find another Festiva or Aspire trans to bolt back in until you acquire all the parts you need for a G series swap.

Just to throw it out there, what about an Auto trans from a Protege? An auto is a little more forgiving and you may be able to find a shop that can beef one up for a little extra capacity. The turbo will respond well to an A/T and you can afford to lose a little HP. Might even help with the traction issue. Not sure what would be needed for the swap.
              arent auto trannies weaker and larger?

Comment

i found a guy with a kia g series tranny. but that takes a 28 spline and 26 spline at the wheel driveshaft..... i dont think there are any 28 to 24 spline driveshafts is there?

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
                  i found a guy with a kia g series tranny. but that takes a 28 spline and 26 spline at the wheel driveshaft..... i dont think there are any 28 to 24 spline driveshafts is there?
                  Look in the links nonamekid gave you, it says the 98+ Kia Sephia has those axles.http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11540
                  '90 LX

Comment

Originally posted by wybnrml View Post
                    Look in the links nonamekid gave you, it says the 98+ Kia Sephia has those axles.http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11540
                    98+ kia sephia has an inboard spline count of 28 with an outboard spline count of 26. Lengths are 24 1/4" and 24 1/2" (not including intermediate shaft), left and right respectively.
                    i need 28 and 24.

plus its a hydraulic tranny.... im guessing that is gonna make things a little more complicated lol.

Comment

There are no axles for the kia sephia transmission swap. I do not know of anyone who has one in a festiva.
                      The Festiva Store
                      Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

i need 28 and 24.

plus its a hydraulic tranny.... im guessing that is gonna make things a little more complicated lol.
                        Sorry for the bad info. But if it comes down to using a hydro tranny you can if you have all the stuff to make it work, if not, you can convert it to cable like this page 15,16,17 http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...=25736&page=15
                        '90 LX

Comment

The auto festy trans has been built up before to withstand a turbo BP. The later auto trans need additional parts to work & maybe even fit. Like trans computer & such
                          It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

arent auto trannies weaker and larger?
                            the F3A auto trans in the Festiva can be easily modified to tolerate 200-250 hp/tq. It will limit you to 3 forward speeds, but auto trannies are ideal for turbo apps. The engine is held at load thru the shift, keeping the turbo spooled and the manifold under pressure. If straight-line speed is what you're after, go with an auto trans.

The F3A is fully hydraulic, so it does not require a TCM (trans control module). All Festivas from 90-93 used the same computers for both manual and auto trans. I know you're running a boosted BP, but just thought I'd point that out.

The F3A is also only marginally heavier than a stock Festy 5speed, and about the same weight as a G25MR manual. Its also the same relative size as the stock 5speed.

Check the top Sticky in this forum; Yvan's transmission mods

I can help you, if you have any questions.
                            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

if your going to do a trans swap with a boosted bp i would say go kia G. your right the splines are different but if you change the diff out from another G series with 26 spline you will be golden! yes its hydro but hopefully damkid will have a cable conversion soon for it. its the stronges trans you can bolt to a bp

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
                                Check the top Sticky in this forum; Yvan's transmission mods

I can help you, if you have any questions.
                                I read the Sticky once, didn't sound like a feasible set-up for a daily driver but pretty cool for a max effort drag trans. Any idea what a stock Festy Auto w/ good aux cooler will handle? Can you get aftermarket clutches, shift kit, etc., that will retain full drivability and live behind something like a B8ME, B6D or B6 SOHC with turbo like TominMO's project?
                                Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                                04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                                62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                                Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
                                X