Aluminum motor mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
    You are partially correct about the "waiting for results". Part of the problem is that there have been several people on here before making claims they couldn't back up. Based on all your posts, you appear to be legitimate (the quality of your work & fab skills speaks for it's self). You just have to keep in mind that this is a tough crowd that can be skeptical. There are a couple other issues involved: most of us live on a tight budget, and most of us drive a Festiva because we live on a tight budget. You also have to remember that historically, due to a serious lack of decent aftermarket parts, we had to focus our efforts on engine swaps. A lot of our members don't have the tools, skills or knowledge to build a performance engine, but they can swap in a $350 junkyard BP in a couple weekends and go from 62HP to 127HP.

Please don't get discouraged. It's great to have someone like you, with your experience, knowledge and abilities, show an interest in Festivas. Give us some time to digest everything.
    So imagine what his skills would do to the b6 b8 BP swaps

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
    92 GL - parts car
    97 aspire - parts car
    87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
    http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
    Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Matt, one thing which may be possible would be to consider using your skills to make parts that can be finished by lesser skilled folks like myself.

I'm looking at that aluminum engine mount and thinking if I bought one off you that was not drilled for the block and the alternator, I could fit & trim it myself and save you some time on the part, and you could sell that "basic SOHC mount design" for B3, B6 and B8 engines. The buyers would drill the block holes and alt slots themselves. You'd provide enough "meat" on your part so the distance from block to body mount would work on all SOHC head engines.

Does that sound feasible to reduce your time, lower the price a bit, appeal to all SOHC owners and thus increase the number of buyers?

What parts might be amenable to this process?

I can't weld aluminum, nor am I qualified to judge parts strength & proper design, but like most of us, I can measure, drill, trim and grind. A one page photocopy of basic directions and cautions would complete this package for each unfinished part.

What do you think?

Karl
      Last edited by Safety Guy; 03-08-2010, 11:21 AM.
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

motor mounts for the bp/g25mr would be awesome so many more people would be able to do the swap then... some people dont have a welder, or the fab skills to make them...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
        1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

here' what i propose; iv'e got a spare 89 festiva i'm going to cut at the a pillar so i have a complete dog house for a jig. all i have right now is b3 engines , if any of you have b6'6 bp's b8's that are other wise junk , rods through the block doesnt matter, pretty much any thing that covers all the common swaps you'll be doing or feel would be most common. to make the mounts and such i'll need this for fitting purposes!
          PROPOGATE! AND FACILITATE!

Comment

i would take a b3 intake and valves and springs if its available..

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
              motor mounts for the bp/g25mr would be awesome so many more people would be able to do the swap then... some people dont have a welder, or the fab skills to make them...
              yea thats a good idea.
              -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
              -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

and some turbo manifolds please
                -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Working...
                X