No announcement yet.

question about mazda awd trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^ill be getting a 323 GTX, I plan to drive it til the body rots off then use the complete GTX drivetrain, the miata rear sub-frame is much larger then the GTX sub-frame so I would assume the GTX sub-frame would be relatively easy to install in a festiva as compared to the miata one

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Miata rear has one advantage though, its modular, just mount it up with 4-6 bolts and that's it. no trailing arms to locate, and you can use stock style rear shocks from a Festiva.
      89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
      94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
      2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
      1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

I converted my Mercury Capri to AWD. I used the BF GTX rear end, which was actually pretty easy to located and not too difficult to bolt into the car. (required custom holes drilled thru the framerails & reinforcement around the mount points)

The Miata rearend would be great but its large and bulky IMO, it is dual a-arm but its much wider than any FWD style rear end and probably needs a lot more cutting. The GTX is pretty similar to a simple FWD rearend just enough room for diff & axles. I can't remember off the top of my head how the RX7 is setup.

I love the AWD but hate the GTX trans - I want something I can beat on, and the GTX gearing is way too buzzy for my personal preference. I have a BPT trans to put in, we'll see where it goes from there.

Just my $.02
        -Rocketman
        1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
        High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
        Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
          I converted my Mercury Capri to AWD. I used the BF GTX rear end, which was actually pretty easy to located and not too difficult to bolt into the car. (required custom holes drilled thru the framerails & reinforcement around the mount points)

The Miata rearend would be great but its large and bulky IMO, it is dual a-arm but its much wider than any FWD style rear end and probably needs a lot more cutting. The GTX is pretty similar to a simple FWD rearend just enough room for diff & axles. I can't remember off the top of my head how the RX7 is setup.

I love the AWD but hate the GTX trans - I want something I can beat on, and the GTX gearing is way too buzzy for my personal preference. I have a BPT trans to put in, we'll see where it goes from there.

Just my $.02
          -Rocketman
          info very much appreciated
          1991 stiva.

Comment

Working...
          X