Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY oil catch can for the backyard mechanic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i also geuss i forgot to mention this thing will be seeing boost sooon, my bad.

Comment

so a catch can is good for cars with blowby? can we get an example of how it should be hooked up? im better with pictures than with words

Comment

festfreak, you CAN attach the breather to the intake hose (before the throtle body) and burn the gasses that are being emitted instead of venting them to the atmosphere. the whole point of the catch can is to CATCH the oil that's being pushed out via blowby and that's it. in reality, you COULD attach a drain line to your oil pan and have a constant feed back from your catch can and therefore not loose oil, AND if you attach the breather to the intake hose again (like from the factory) you might even see an increase in MPG!
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

You're gonna use forced induction on a motor that already has blow by issues?
          1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
          1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
          1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
          1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
          1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
          1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
          1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
            in reality, you COULD attach a drain line to your oil pan and have a constant feed back from your catch can and therefore not loose oil, AND if you attach the breather to the intake hose again (like from the factory) you might even see an increase in MPG!
            Very true. I thought of doing this to mine, however, I would add a word of caution if your car has excessive blow-by like mine. In my case, the oil that ends up in the catch can is pretty nasty and has a lot of moisture and nasty byproducts in it from the combustion process. Also, the more I thought about it, I decided that if the crankcase has so much pressure that its forcing oil out the VC breather, it would also reverse pressurize the catch can via the drain tube. You would have to install a check valve in the drain line or install a ball valve (or similar) so you could drain it manually.
            Last edited by blkfordsedan; 09-25-2010, 11:51 AM. Reason: added line
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by Kraig View Post
              You're gonna use forced induction on a motor that already has blow by issues?
              well the blow by issues i had were because of my deffective lame broken PCV valve i had, fixed that problem with a new pcv valve and i came up with the great idea for the catchcan, so i did it..

motor has good compression, not sure about leak down. so im going to boost it

prepping the car for an auto cross sunday, illl get my go pro charged and make some vids to show how hard the car pulls!

Comment

Originally posted by festyfreak39
                prepping the car for an auto cross sunday, illl get my go pro charged and make some vids to show how hard the car pulls!
                whoo!!! finaly some festy racing vids!!!

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Boost is good.....amazing how 15lbs of it will change your car's personality!
                  1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
                  1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
                  1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
                  1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
                  1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
                  1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
                  1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

Working...
                  X