Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bp equipment on a b3

Hi everyone,

I recently obtained a 1993 festiva and was wondering if this would work. I currently have the b3 engine, but was wondering if I could add the bp ecu, bp distributor, bp vaf, and bp injectors? Theoretically it should work as the ecu would read it properly, but is it practical? Has anyone tried this?

Thank you for the help

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
    -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

heheheh....haha....oh man...
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Why????WHY???
      Current
      Retired

Comment

Oh man that is the best idea ever!!! I wish I would have thought about that before dropping in a stupid V6 :lol:
        Last edited by Damkid; 01-25-2011, 12:59 PM.

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
          Oh man that is the best idea ever!!! I wish I would have thought about that before dropping in a stupid V6 :lol:
          See? All that trouble for nothing. Now don't you feel foolish? :razz:
          Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
          '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
          '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Sure you could add all that stuff... but I think it would do more harm than good unless you also put the BP in there with it. Unless you know something that we don't about the BP injectors and electronics being better tuned to the B3 than the computer and injectors the B3 is SUPPOSED to use.
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Timmay, to do what you want to do is NOT practical. It would require that you built up your B3 to flow as much air and fuel as a BP, which may not be possible to begin with. Now theoretically, I suppose you could build a high performance B3 that would require more fuel, but the next step up would be the B6 injectors, not the BP ones. I suppose then the B6 ECU might work to run the setup, though I'm not sure. These other guys could confirm or deny that with much better accuracy than I can.

In short, if you do what you say (and I know that with VICS, the BP ECU is quite different from a B3 or B6 ECU) and put in all those parts, IF it would run at all, you'd just be pouring more fuel into the combustion chambers which would NOT BURN and be wasted. Your mpgs would go down as a result, and if anything, your performance would either stay the same, or (most likely) get worse. I'd guess much worse.

About the most you can do with a B3 is the basic Stage One stuff to increase air flow and maybe get a few more hp. Maybe five or six at most. It is still regarded as more cost effective to swap to a B6 for an additional 19 hp. Essentially, a B6 could be considered a "pre-built" B3!

With your B3, just make sure it is tuned up as best you can get it, take out your rear seat, run smaller tires and lighter wheels (like Civic VX 13 X 5s with some 175/50s for better final drive ratio and plenty of grip) and make some aero mods for a better CD.

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Thank you for the help. I didnt think that it would work, but was hoping since I already have all of the equipment. My thought was that the bp ecu would have a more aggressive timing map.
                I was not doing it for a lot more power, but rather wanted to try something new since I already have a bp festiva.

My question though is has anyone actually tried it as stupid of an idea that it is?

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month

Comment

If you wanted to try it, try a B6 ECU. The BP ECU has VICS control and I don't know if that's part of what hooks up to a Festiva or not.

Keep in mind that although a B3 ECU runs a B6 engine with no worries, I don't know that the reverse is true. So try at your own risk!! Ain't my fault if something bad happens.

Karl
                  '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                  '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                  '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                  '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                  '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Wow....

Timmay, don't feel too bad. I understand you're thinking that as long as the ECU, injectors & VAF all match, it should work because the components only work off of the amount of air that's being drawn and the fuel should be metered accordingly via monitoring by the O2 sensor.

I seriously doubt the BP stuff would work on a B3- there's a big displacement & design difference between the two motors (double the HP) and it would probably be way off scale. If you used a B6 ECU, injectors & VAF on a mild B3 it may work (since the motors are a lot closer in displacement and volumetric efficiency). After all, you can run a B6 on a B3 ECU as long as you use B3 injectors (although not to full potential). I think the key is to be "in the ballpark" to start with. At least you're thinking outside the box....which is good. If others hadn't asked "what if", then we wouldn't have B6T or BP Festivas to start with.
                    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I would think the distributor wouldn't work because it's DOHC as compared to SOHC. If you did all that and it did run it would be pretty interesting for a turbo build on a B3 (naysayers aside )
                      Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
                      1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
                      2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
                      2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisofna View Post
                        I would think the distributor wouldn't work because it's DOHC as compared to SOHC. If you did all that and it did run it would be pretty interesting for a turbo build on a B3 (naysayers aside )
                        I agree that having a turbo build b3 would be sweet but I understand that this is not the most practical thing to do. I may try it when I am about to do a bp swap just to see if it can be done.

Comment

I like how (some) people laugh and scoff at the guy, when anyone who has followed him knows he has already done a bp swap on his gf's festiva. Sure it may not work, but does it hurt to ask?

-Scott
                          Aqua 93 L
                          Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
                          White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

You could ask 1993festiva. He's done or is doing similar stuff
                            All you would be missing is the 1.8L dohc engine. Then it would really make some power
                            It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Thanks Leapin

Originally posted by muscle_Car1 View Post
                              You could ask 1993festiva. He's done or is doing similar stuff
                              All you would be missing is the 1.8L dohc engine. Then it would really make some power
                              I know what you mean, I did a bp swap into a festiva and it is fast. In the long run I want to do either a b3T or bpT. Right now I am still on the look out for a good engine to do a swap with, so I have time to experiment, hence the weird questions. Thank you for the contact, I will talk to 1993festiva.

Comment

Working...
                              X