No announcement yet.

Bp equipment on a b3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

realisticaly, you COULD use all that stuff on a B3, except the ECU, and ONLY if you were using forced induction. the tune would have to be from a MS or mS system and totaly custom. but since you would be going that route, you wouldn't want the VAF either, you would want a MAF and MAP combo with a rising rate FPR. and then since you'd be running boost, you'd want forged pistons and stainless valves with uprated valve springs.....

see how it snowballs?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
      realisticaly, you COULD use all that stuff on a B3, except the ECU, and ONLY if you were using forced induction. the tune would have to be from a MS or mS system and totaly custom. but since you would be going that route, you wouldn't want the VAF either, you would want a MAF and MAP combo with a rising rate FPR. and then since you'd be running boost, you'd want forged pistons and stainless valves with uprated valve springs.....

see how it snowballs?
      Ya know, if you keep the RPMs the same and the detonation away you should be able to keep the factory stuff. I know it isn't "built for boost" but if you look at the B6D pistons as compared to the B6T pistons they are essentially the same except for compression.

With that thought, I would love to do a B3T build. And as soon as I have a steady cash flow, plan to.
      Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
      1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
      2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
      2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

and material, the B6D runs cast pistons and IIRC the B6Ts are forged.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

According to Rocketman they aren't, just lower compression...
          Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"

Comment

and material, the B6D runs cast pistons and IIRC the B6Ts are forged.
            B6T pistons are not forged. They're cast Hypereutectic like most OEM pistons, just very low CR
            1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
            High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
            Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

ok, but still better than stardard cast.

Comment

ok, but still better than stardard cast.
                Cast hypereutectic IS "standard cast". There is nothing special about the B6T pistons. A lot of people nowadays are giving them up for the 9.0 and 9.4:1 pistons and having no issues, as long as your tune is safe

Rocketchips!

Comment

then please explain why i have 3 available options when picking out pistons for an SBC or really any domestic V8 and V6?
                  not starting a flame here, i'm actually curious. i was always told that the hypers were an upgrade to stock.

Comment

then please explain why i have 3 available options when picking out pistons for an SBC or really any domestic V8 and V6?
                    not starting a flame here, i'm actually curious. i was always told that the hypers were an upgrade to stock.
                    Probably because Domestic V6s and V8s work on a "it still works" logic so they use an older casting technique and a standard import-style cast is an upgrade?
                    Current cars:

Comment

Im curious what the other options are as well, I'm not versed in domestic engines that well. FSM states cast hypereutectic - From what I remember reading its the best option for durability & reliability. I've heard forged pistons have a different expansion rate & are more prone to piston slap and such from a cold start. Different alloys for cast Vs. forged.

I'm not exactly a piston expert, I'm going by what the factory manual tells me, and other debates that have taken place in the past on places like Mazda323performance.com

Rocketchips!

Comment

Cast Hypereutectic has a higher percentage of silicone (16-18%) added through a special process. The higher silicone content keeps the heat expansion rate lower than a standard hypoeutectic (11-12% silicone) cast aluminum piston. This allows for tighter piston to wall clearances, which gives less noise at cold start up and improves emissions. They are a great option for a mild street/strip and N/A motor, but they are not as strong as a forged piston.

I don't know about the Mazda or any import engines, but Ford switched to Hypereutectic on the N/A modular motors. On supercharged induction apps like the Cobras & Lightnings, they used forged pistons. The old 5.0L HO had forged pistons, which was great for adding an aftermarket blower, turbo, etc.. You can still run a hypereutectic in forced induction, but the boost levels have to be kept low and the tune has to be very conservative. They will not handle detonation or poor fuel, high load conditions like a forged piston. There are also different silicone contents available in forged as well.

I can't honestly say what the B6D/B6T has because I don't know.
                        Last edited by blkfordsedan; 01-29-2011, 10:56 AM.
                        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

^^^ I should add that the heat expansion of the Hypereutectic is less than a FORGED piston, and on par with a standard cast Hypoeutectic piston. The Hypereutectic is a nice compromise between standard cast and forged. They are strong, light and cheaper to manufacture than a forged piston. I should have paid closer attention to what I was typing!
                          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

well i have b8 ecu and injectors on my b3. it sure dont increase the hp, but it does make the car more reliable as of turning on in the winter . turns on very quick =). i think i see thats the nly positive thing about it, but maybe if you have the money you can get your b3 modded machined and do lots of work on it to make it handle all that. but the b8ninjectors and ecu is working for me as of turning on the car real fast. the mpg dropped but not by much i was getting 45mpg on my festiva now with these injectors is getting 40mpg. not a big diffrence. also seens i put these i have broke the fuel lines seens it had too much pressure. so i replaced all my lines with thiker lines and also replaced the fuel pump which i bought from ebay , it suppose to be the performance one . and today i am getting it from the mechanic to see how it is. but it does turn on very quick even when is freezing in the winter=)

Comment

Thanks 1993Festiva. That is the information that I was looking for. I wanted someone who had done a similar mod to either say that it works great and is amazing, or that there was no noticeable difference. I won't bother trying it then.

Thanks.

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
                              -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Comment

Last edited by timmay89; 01-29-2011, 05:38 PM.

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
                                -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Comment

Working...
                                X