No announcement yet.

modifying the air box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just tried it, unless I get creative, it won't stay down. And the lid won't let the lock nut keep it down because the threads don't come through. Lol

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
    91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

You may have to get creative. I haven't tried this on a Festiva, so I don't know how well this will work. If you're going to do this, check two things. Hood clearance and, most important, Make sure the lid seals tight to the air filter.
      Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
      '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
      '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Originally posted by JPT View Post
        ^ True on the VAF, but you're still dealing with a 50mm throttle body (about 3 square inches) minus the area the throttle blade takes up. The hole that's left when that duct is removed is about the same size in area.

Then again, extra holes can't hurt.
        I was sold on drilling airbox holes when this turned out to be a huge improvement for my 91 Subaru Loyale. It had no pep at all above 4500 until I did this, then it ran very strongly to redline. Since the motor is sucking the air in, it may still be that airflow is faster with the extra holes, despite the throttle body size; in other words, the tiny hole letting air into the airbox itself is more of a restriction than the throttle body. And of course there will be variation in performance difference between different makes/models of cars, depending on how efficient the basic designs are.
        Last edited by TominMO; 01-28-2011, 10:08 PM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

You may have to get creative. I haven't tried this on a Festiva, so I don't know how well this will work. If you're going to do this, check two things. Hood clearance and, most important, Make sure the lid seals tight to the air filter.
          Been a while since I saw the carbed setup. Is there a "cone" shape in the lid that dips into the carb inlet a bit or something?
          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

^ True on the VAF, but you're still dealing with a 50mm throttle body (about 3 square inches) minus the area the throttle blade takes up. The hole that's left when that duct is removed is about the same size in area..
            Keep in mind the inlet of the throttle body is quite a bit larger than the narrowest point at the butterfly. Then take away the throttle shaft silhouette. The narrowest point is about 44mm wide without taking anything away. Tiny. Just mic'ed one sitting beside me.

I've modified a manual trans neon throttle body to work with mine that gives me 49mm IIRC. The auto trans neon one will give you 52mm. It involves welding though and was a pain IMO to do. Probably better options out there. I just have them lying around.
            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Goodmorning All, i followed the suggestions for modifying the air box, pulled the 90 elbow and swiss cheesed the bottom of the box, went for a drive south of town through the hills, it did well going up hill without having to get a run at it so i'm happy. Now for the upside down air cleaner lid, yes we did this and it gave the Q jet a very unique growl. Thanks for the help.
              An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Working...
              X