If I were to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to turn a turbo "off?"

Because then I could just disable the nitrous system and switch off the turbo when I wanted high MPG's around town, and switch them on when I wanted to race/ needed speed on the highway or something.
    1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
    Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
    daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
    A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

Originally posted by Basement_Modder View Post
      Is it possible to turn a turbo "off?"

Because then I could just disable the nitrous system and switch off the turbo when I wanted high MPG's around town, and switch them on when I wanted to race/ needed speed on the highway or something.
      Uh... not in the sense that you're thinking. But a turbo that isn't making boost can be fruitful to fuel economy because it can assist in making vacuum. There are superchargers that can be turned off: look into the Toyota SC14 and SC12. Nobody has yet to swap one into any Mazda B-series motor though to my knowledge.
      1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

im working on turboing it, so i installed the safc and wideband o2 sensor to get used to tuning. it ran just fine without the controler. just need the vaf meter and ecu to go with the engine and rock it
        Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
        93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
        91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
        93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
        15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
        88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

.... just cruise and keep the turbo out of boost... as long as you aint flooring it everywhere should have no problem keeping mpgs if turboed.... its the red light races and constant revving that kills it
          91L 5 sp, 175k,a/c ,KYB gr2,Fms Lowering springs ,13" konig's ,09 tiburon seats, 7" Pyle in.dash,kicker ds400 all around,Kicker 400.2 powering 2 Kicker cvr 10", 30k hid's, hopeful to find a xr2 to swap b6t from....

2010 mazdaspeed3 stock... for now

Comment

Originally posted by gauge_half_inch View Post
            the b6 makes a noticeable difference in the power of the car. for the cost and effort involved the bp swap would give you what you want. there are guys on here pulling high 30s with bp swaps. i get around 26 city and 32 highway with my camed,ported b6. but i drive very, we'll say "spirited". i take several highway interchange ramps every day to and from work, and can't help myself...
            Dennis what tire size you running?
            Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
            Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
            Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

205/50/15

Dennis
              91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
              88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

How did you fit 15" tires on a FESTIVA?

Also, bad news, none of the salvage yards in the entire Grand Rapids and surrounding areas have any Festivas, nor have they had any since 2001 or earlier. The only ones that had aspires had been sitting in the yard for 6-11 years and were missing all the brake calipers, rotors, suspension system, and the seats. WHY?!?

I need a festy.
                Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed

1993 rustless wonder

Comment

i have the full aspire brake swap. the wheels are from a yaris/xa/xb 195/50/15s fit with no clearance issues using the aspire rear struts. take a drive to Holland and go to LKQ u-pull yard. cant remember what street it on, been a few years since i lived there.

Dennis
                  88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

205/50/15
                    Thats a nice tall tire.Looks like its almost 2" taller than stock. It really helps with mpg. How do you keep track of mileage? GPS?
                    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

to be honest, i guess. lol. its about 3 miles fast at 60 using a gps. but in all reality i dont daily this car for the mpgs, i daily it for the snappy acceleration, crisp handiling and aditude.

Dennis
                      88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

TominMO gets 40 mpgs with his sohc b6 with a rear turbo.
                        -Greg
                        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                        Redneck Engineer
                        FOTY - '09
                        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

take a drive to Holland and go to LKQ u-pull yard. cant remember what street it on, been a few years since i lived there.
                          I searched them, and they also have a Grand Rapids yard about 10 minutes from me that is even larger than the Holland one! Thanks for the name, man. They aren't in the Grand Rapids scrapyard directory.
                          Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed

1993 rustless wonder

Comment

b6's are lighter too. Oh and if you get an early one the turbo manifold for the b3 would fit too.
                            It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

This is the same B3 in the Festiva, correct? They only list the Aspire, but they all were built with the same engines, IIRC.
                              Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed

1993 rustless wonder

Comment

That looks like a great deal on a reman B3! No warranty though.

BModder, that engine has roller rockers and is technically for the Aspire, but it can be used on a Festiva with your old Festiva add-ons like pulleys, etc.

Karl
                                Last edited by Safety Guy; 04-17-2011, 10:04 AM.
                                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                                X