If I were to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I were to...

If I were to tubocharge a rebuilt stock B3 and add a (well controlled) nitrous system, could it end up comparable to a B6 swap? I ask this because I like the fuel economy of the B3, but also value speed/ acceleration.

I would put a limit switch on the engine on the throttle assembly to only activate nitrous at WOT, and only when a switch is flipped in the cockpit. I also would probably need to aspire swap for stability.

I'm hitting up 6 local yards today. Hope one has a festy...
    1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
    Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
    daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
    A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

A turbocharged b3 is comparable if not faster without spray. I forget what Eurotiva did on his I'm wanting to say mid 15's. Which would roast a b6 sohc.
    1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

With a turbo and nitrous you'd probably end up getting less MPGs out of a B3 than you would an NA B6. Just something to think about. I've gotten about the same MPGs out of a B6 as I have on the B3s, when I was driving about the same (not flogging it all the time).
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Depending on how you drove a turbo'd b3 I'm sure it could be comparable. But your right the b6 would be better on gas.
        Last edited by Flyin4stroke; 04-14-2011, 06:34 AM.
        1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

More power = more fuel, just another thing to keep in mind

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

the b6 makes a noticeable difference in the power of the car. for the cost and effort involved the bp swap would give you what you want. there are guys on here pulling high 30s with bp swaps. i get around 26 city and 32 highway with my camed,ported b6. but i drive very, we'll say "spirited". i take several highway interchange ramps every day to and from work, and can't help myself...
            Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
            93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
            91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
            93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
            15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
            88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Originally posted by gauge_half_inch View Post
              i get around 26 city and 32 highway with my camed,ported b6. but i drive very, we'll say "spirited". i take several highway interchange ramps every day to and from work, and can't help myself...
              That's it?!?!? The one time I figured out my mileage I got 29 mpg and I got a heavy foot

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

i have the fms cam, bp tb ported head and intake, safcII fuel controller on it and i run the crap out of it.

Dennis
                91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                  That's it?!?!? The one time I figured out my mileage I got 29 mpg and I got a heavy foot
                  He's quoting miles per US gallon, I assume you're quoting miles per imperial gallon. 32 miles per US gal = 38 miles per imperial gallon.
                  Ian
                  Calgary AB, Canada
                  93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                  59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

yes US gallons

Dennis
                    88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

i have the fms cam, bp tb ported head and intake, safcII fuel controller on it and i run the crap out of it.
                      This is exactly the set-up I am in the process of doing right now, except for I'll have a stock B6 ECU. I was hoping to still get close to 40mpg. Are you using the stock B6 Exhaust manifold?

32 mpg you say??.........maybe I should rethink my plans! The big question is "How does it run?"
                      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                      62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                      Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

yes it is the stock b6 exhaust manifold. im using the stock b6 ecu, just a piggyback air/fuel controler. with out the fuel controler, i ran 16.2
                        p.s. its a 90+b6

Dennis
                        88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

I've heard of upper 48 out of a B6. And 46 out of a BP.
                          youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

im sure if driven "correctly" it could achieve upper 30s in-town with the mods done

Dennis
                            88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

yes it is the stock b6 exhaust manifold. im using the stock b6 ecu, just a piggyback air/fuel controler. with out the fuel controler, i ran 16.2
                              p.s. its a 90+b6
                              Why the piggyback A/F controller? Is the stock B6 ECU not capable of handling the port/cam/TB mods? Can I expect issues with it running lean?
                              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
                              X