Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATX upgrades - lockup converter available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok what the heck is this

1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

looks like a gen2 626 2 door... kinda a gen0 MX6...
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

But the photos are not doctored, its right hand drive. Anyway my point i forgot to type out was there were a bunch of 323 auto for sale and now they were taken down. Its a reliable transmission, just need to find 1988's only i guess.
        1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

I take that back, if its a 626 then at least the engine bay pic is flip-flopped... dist should be on the right hand side of the pic, timing belt on the left. That pic looks more like a honda setup with the engine turned backwards. Idk, the distributor comes out at a 90* angle which is also not consistent with the 626. But it sure does look like the 4 door 626s I've seen. Never seen a coupe but I've heard they were built. Maybe JDM? Since it does appear to be a true RHD (you can tell by the front pic that it wasn't flipped, wipers are correctly oriented)
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

the G4A-HL's LTC is RPM activated as well (just like the aspire ATX)

THERE IS NO FLUID PASSAGE from the input shaft. it is NOT hydrolicaly actuated (according to the mazda manual i have for the G4A-HL)
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              the G4A-HL's LTC is RPM activated as well (just like the aspire ATX)

THERE IS NO FLUID PASSAGE from the input shaft. it is NOT hydrolicaly actuated (according to the mazda manual i have for the G4A-HL)
              If there were a fluid passage, it would be in the valve body. The only two tips of lockup converters I've seen are fluid actuated and electrically actuated, the latter rarely being more than a fluid clutch with a solenoid that controls fluid passage.

Without having it in front of me, I have no way of knowing.

Unless they used a centrifugal clutch type spring/weight device to lock the tc, but then lockup would be available in all gears, based only on input shaft rpm, and it isn't (is it?)

Maybe something mechanical based on output rpm could work as described, but again, seems very complex and unlikely to work reliably.

Comment

Yup, they're centrifugal lockup.
                See this: http://www.mytorqueconverter.com/dem...art&Itemid=111
                Napa carries one with the lockup omitted:https://napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal...+50026+2026001
                Another lockup one: http://shop.ptptrans.com/F3A-TORQUE-...R-TCDA43TT.htm
                I don't know either of the online companies, just did a little digging to find out what lockup they used.
                Last edited by link5186; 05-18-2011, 09:14 PM.
                91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
                92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
                95 Grand Prix SE DD
                Wife's Stuff:
                89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
                97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
                Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
                http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

Whoa... That's new to me. Now I'm wondering why it doesn't lockup in all gears? Or does it..

In any event, with a centrifugal setup, while manually controlled locking is a dream not to be dreamed, it should be fairly simple to modify the springs/weights to engage the clutch at a specified RPM.

It'll require cutting the seam on the tc, then welding and balancing after the weights are modified.

GREAT FIND!

After thought: if the centrifugal weights are attached to the output side of the tc, they wouldn't lock up until the output side reached x speed... Still should be locking in every gear, though. Just makes it a bit more difficult to determine the proper setup for a given RPM.
                  Last edited by Christ; 05-19-2011, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Question:

Would simply swapping my '93GL F3A TC for an Aspire's lockup TC be an effective swap to add 3rd gear lockup to my car, or do I need the whole Aspire transaxle? I'm not clear on this. Obviously, swapping TCs would be quite a bit simpler and I'd retain my higher final drive ratio for fuel economy.

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Yeah, thats what I'm thinking for wifey's car as well.
                      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I think you should buy it, and if it won't install, return it. Easy peezy.

Not sure how long the ROI would be on fuel economy increase alone, though.

It's prob $200 shipped for a new one, and the lockup MIGHT get you 10% better FE, so if you were getting 36mpg before, you might get 39-40 now... If you spent $40/wk before, you'd spend $36/wk now, so 200/4=50 wk payoff time.

That's really not bad, actually.

Even better if you get one for $30 from the junkyard.
                        Last edited by Christ; 05-19-2011, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I will be keeping an eye on the yards... She doesn't drive it much, but it would be nice to have the lockup in it so we can take it on trips. Hate turning 4k+ just to run 70 on the the highway, even if it only drops it a little that will make me happy.
                          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

This thread just made me pitch a tent.

The '97 Aspire torque converter is top on my junkyard list now!
                            -Zack
                            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

I was looking at a '94 Protégé with a BP/Auto. Should I get the trans as well for a swap? Of course I'd be getting the computer as well.

The blue car is currently sitting minus engine/trans. The boss that the timing belt pulley attaches to is chewed up due to a loose bolt and it got hot by the 'tweener owner' (guy I sold it to and gave it back to me). I was planning on rebuilding it and swapping it into the black car, rebuilding it and swapping it into red car, both use/lose/leak oil. My 5-spd went out so the blue car gave up it's 5-spd to the red car.
                              1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                              1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                              1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                              1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                              2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                              2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                              2005 Accord - wife's DD
                              2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                              2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Auto cars can be nice at times. I'm a diehard manual driver but I can appreciatean auto from time to time as well... especially in city driving. If you're comfortable having an auto car that's still twice as quick as a stock 5 SPD Festy, I'd def get the trans as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X