02 kia rio five speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 02 kia rio five speed

I have one auto trans Rio and one five speed trans Rio both cars are wrecked ! Does anyone know if these transmission will bolt up to our engines ? I've been searching with no luck. Trying to get time just to try this myself . Thought I would see if anyone had some info on this . Thanks
    New build on the way .

Well !! It does just checked ! Now off to check axles splines and trans ecu !! Wonder how strong they are !????
    New build on the way .

Comment

the 5 speed is a modified G series trans, and the auto is again a modified F series auto trans. the axles and ECU integration are going to be the issue especially for the auto.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Any information on the strength ? Would it hold turbo duty if the ecu could be figured out
        New build on the way .

Comment

OH yeah!! easy, just need to mod the pump pressure regulator spring to up the output before regulation. the case is plenty strong and it's based on the F/G series internals.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Any free info to read on for pump regulation ? Was thinking a four speed auto would be sweet behind a b6t ! Like I said I have this car wrecked so I'm going to do this ! It's down to ecu and spine counts or axle lengths .
            New build on the way .

Comment

So it does bolt up? Awesome! Is it the 1.5?... gotta search the yards for a 1.5 Rio then... I WILL be the first one with a 1.5L carbed auto festiva lol
              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Again like Karl said watch the timing belt ! That's how I got my daughters car so cheap the belt stripped and shattered all the exhaust valves !! I'm really liking your idea I guess you could just buy an intake gasket for a Rio and see how close it matches a carb intake !!
                New build on the way .

Comment

the rio might be a better bet than ripping the drivetrain out of a 1997 protege 1.5L.for example , in general the pro seems like a wider car. To make either autos work its going to take some thikning because they are both obd-2 applications and have all kinds of programmed shift points and things for emissions. shadetree take a;ll the measurements you can, even if you have to use aspire pieces as well, as the aspire seems to be a transition type of car.
                  Last edited by getnpsi; 06-10-2011, 10:11 PM.
                  1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

I will indeed ! Should find out tomorrow thanks for the help ! On the programmed shift points I'm wondering how much info it needs from the engine ? I will get into that wiring tomorrow as well !
                    New build on the way .

Comment

Both axles auto festy and auto Rio. They have the same spline count and relaxed laying on floor are the same length . If you stand them on end and compress them the Rio axle is actually a quarter inch shorter (and yes I checked double checked and then checked again Rio is shorter). Over all size the Rio axle shaft is def bigger . Looks like a direct swap so far ! Other then shift points and such. Wow can you say paddle shift festiva !!!!!!!!!
                      New build on the way .

Comment

Are there any automatic electronic shift techs or anyone know of some good reading material on the KIA transmission ??
                        New build on the way .

Comment

Looked at things again today and even the speedo gear can be made to fit and the mounts look way simple if not bolt up ! The cable for the clutch looks like it might be a little longer but mounts don't look bad on the Manuel to fab up either . When I get into the auto trans wiring tomorrow I'm going to check out the vss wiring as well . Might have a electronic speedo donor car here as well !!
                          New build on the way .

Comment

Well i found a direct replacement for the hard to find half shaft . Been tested and works fine . I'm still working on the wiring . I'm having a hard time finding diagrams . But the electronic speedo looks easy .
                            New build on the way .

Comment

Sounds great! I'm keeping an eye on this thread.

It's possible the Rio may not be as "distant" a 3rd gen Festiva as we had thought. Ah, if I only had the room to buy a wrecked/exploded '01-05 Rio!

(Another thing I'd like to see is putting a BP into an exploded Rio for a nice power upgrade as well as noninterference engine choice.)

Karl
                              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                              X