What axle config will I need with an F trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What axle config will I need with an F trans

Going to put a Bp and a f series together in my friends festy for him, but I've got conflicting info on axles however.
    Can Anybody that's done it can tell me what configuration I'll need.
    I've heard: the stock festy axles all the way up to the trans, then at the last cv joint convert the last hub to the f style!
    Last edited by iceracerdude; 07-16-2011, 05:37 PM.
    97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
    CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
    Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Use non turbo Capri or 323 axles.
    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

I got the same plans, that confirms my searching thanks
      Owner of:
      1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
      In progress:
      BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

The splines will be correct at the hubs as well as the trans then?

Comment

Originally posted by iceracerdude View Post
          The splines will be correct at the hubs as well as the trans then?
          According to what used to be a sticky in the "Engine And Drivetrain" section, yes.

Here's a link to the info.

EDIT: The 323 axles need to be from an '88 or '89
          Last edited by JPT; 07-16-2011, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JPT View Post
            According to what used to be a sticky in the "Engine And Drivetrain" section, yes.

Here's a link to the info.

EDIT: The 323 axles need to be from an '88 or '89
            Well then no according to the link, the spline counts are in fact different.
            The Festy having 22 inboard and 24 outboard, and the 323 is 24 and 24.
            But thanks for the link, I feel I'm getting closer.
            Last edited by iceracerdude; 07-16-2011, 07:31 PM.

Comment

E series transmissions have an inboard spline count of 22. F series have an inboard spline count of 24. Therefore, to put an F series into a Festy, you need axles that have an inboard spline count of 24.

The two cars I mentioned have axles with 24 splines on the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by JPT View Post
                E series transmissions have an inboard spline count of 22. F series have an inboard spline count of 24. Therefore, to put an F series into a Festy, you need axles that have an inboard spline count of 24.

The two cars I mentioned have axles with 24 splines on the inside.
                This. The F-series axles are plug and play with their own transmission and our own front end.
                1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

So I'll be converting both of the festy axles "inter stubbs" to the 24 count spline.
                  Thanks for all the info.
                  Now that that's settled, lets kick it up a notch, is there a two peice config for the passenger side that you guys have used, you know, in an effort to reduce torque steer?

Comment

You can use auto festiva axles they are the same. Also auto non abs aspire axles and tracer axles 86-89 and the 323 non turbo 88-89. Also i think the non turbo Capri axles will fit as well. I am running a 89 323 f series tranny in my bp swap. Also they made the f series in a 4 speed and 5 i have the 4 in my car.

Comment

Originally posted by hofficergrover View Post
                      You can use auto festiva axles they are the same. Also auto non abs aspire axles and tracer axles 86-89 and the 323 non turbo 88-89. Also i think the non turbo Capri axles will fit as well. I am running a 89 323 f series tranny in my bp swap. Also they made the f series in a 4 speed and 5 i have the 4 in my car.
                      SERIOUSLY? Wow... today I learned. That's very interesting... and cost effective for those upgrading to an F-series! Thank you for sharing... you've just altered my Festiva budget.
                      1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Not a prob i work at advance so when i have nothing to do i look up parts and see if have same part numbers :lol:
                        Also if get the auto festy axles make sure you don't make the trans closer to the driver side because new axles are for some reason like half an inch longer and don't fit. I had to redo my tranny mounts to get new axles in but the old would still fit fine. So get new axles if can so when you do all your mock up every thing is correct length so that it will all fit.

Comment

Guy's need some quick help

Originally posted by hofficergrover View Post
                          Got a deal set up tommorow for an F SERIES from a MX3 that had the B6 engine.
                          Do you guys know what the the inboard spline count will be on this tranny?

My guess is it will be 24 inboard count? please a little help. I want to take this F series and put it my ASPIRE using (AUTO) ASPIRE axles. This tranny is only got 60k so its a sweet deal.

Edit...... I'm an idiot ! Why am I assuming that this is a F SERIES??? I guess the the first question at hand is what tranny is the 4 banger MX3 equipped with?
                          Last edited by nitrofarm; 03-22-2012, 07:11 PM.
                          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

The mx3 is an F series, hydro clutch.

The aspire auto axles will not be long enough in your aspire though. You are better off using aspire manual trans axles and swapping out the inner part of the axle.
                            The Festiva Store
                            Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Originally posted by nonamekid View Post
                              The mx3 is an F series, hydro clutch.

The aspire auto axles will not be long enough in your aspire though. You are better off using aspire manual trans axles and swapping out the inner part of the axle.
                              Thanks for the quick response! Sounds easy enough. I'll still have to fab mounts. And convert to cable. I'm shooting for $200 on the tranny.
                              Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                              Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                              Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                              X