Fms camshaft questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
    ^ again, i suggest the B6 head.... but you reconed a B3 so...

did you remove the exhaust shelf from the runner?
    A b6 head would be great but I have no intentions of touching the bottom end until it blows. I'm not trying to get crazy with the engine though. I'd like to make up for my lack of power with weight savings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

so why not use rollers on a larger base circle?, it should be much easier on all parts involved (except the cam in our case).
      easier, yes, but it puts the rocker geometry out, because the roller follower is designed for a cam with a smaller base circle. Puts the follower too deep into its sweep across the valve tip.
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

^ ah HA! makes more sense now. thank you.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

yeah, sorry... got a headcold, not at my best explaining things at the moment...
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

ok one more question!!! if the rocker rod locates the follower's distance between the valve tip and cam lobe and you change the lobe base circle to something larger, wouldn't that put the other end more firmly in the center of the tip before .050" and leave it in the same spot as the smaller circle cam when at the apex (assuming equal lobe lift)?
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

^ in what respect, Elusive?
              In regards to using roller rockers for fms cam.
              60% of the time it works, every time!

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
                I have the "street" cam in my B6. Head is ported/polished/decked. Stock 90-93 323 intake (ported, gasket matched) and long runner iron exhaust manifold. B8 throttle body. Definate reduction in idle quality (not terribly important to me, just stating). Comes on very strong above 3k RPM. Some reductiion in fuel economy, even driving conservatively. Still mid 30's mpg. Overall satisfied with it.
                Jim, just a couple questions: did you use an adjustable cam gear or did you just install it "as-is". I'm getting ready to install mine in my B6 and have no idea if the cam was ground "straight-up" or slightly advanced like some performance cams are. I would like to advance mine about 4* and lower the RPM range slightly. (Especially if it doesn't turn on until 3K). I think it would be a better match for my stock Tracer intake & exhaust manifolds and put my cruise RPM closer to the powerband. Should help with MPG as well.

Also, isn't yours an ATX?
                What size is the B8 T-body? I thought the BP's had the only TB larger than the standard B3/B6/B6D?
                Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
                X