4-speed F-4EAT automatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-speed F-4EAT automatic

Has anyone put the 4-speed F-4EAT automatic in a Festy or Aspire?
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

no, bellhousings won't accept a B series engine. unless it's from an EGT and then you might as well do the entire swap.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Only 4 speed auto swap known to have been accomplished is the G4A-HL found only in certain 1989 323's. Nothing was documented.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
        no, bellhousings won't accept a B series engine. unless it's from an EGT and then you might as well do the entire swap.
        Thanks thats what I was looking for.Is it a lock up converter Fest?

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
        Only 4 speed auto swap known to have been accomplished is the G4A-HL found only in certain 1989 323's. Nothing was documented.
        Thanks Hazard appreciate the response-

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          I believe the N/A capri used an F-4EAT but it is notorious for grenading for no reason
          It came mated to the B6 DOHC
          1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
          High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
          Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
            I believe the N/A capri used an F-4EAT but it is notorious for grenading for no reason
            It came mated to the B6 DOHC
            Thanks Rocketman,Wikpedia doesnt tell me much.But it sounds like Mazda even made a high output unit for Toyota. I'm also wondering does it use a seperate ecm for the shifts.Or does the EGT/ Bp 1.8L ecm incorporate that-

Comment

I can vouch for the trans blowing up for no reason. My '91 323 was driving calmly down the road and lost all output from the trans. Sounds like someone's grinding up pop tabs in a blender now.
              -Zack
              Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

From my reading of all that was posted here, my understanding is that the most practical 4 speed auto swap would be the unit from the 1989 323. It was a four speed lockup auto but had no computer controls.

I think the theory goes that you would just need to fit it into the engine bay with appropriate mounts and get it hooked up. Then compare pinouts from the ECUs, if the manual is different from the auto.

There may be more, but supposedly that's what the undocumented swap used.

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I know where one of the G4A-HLs is... along with a decent looking B6. Unfortunately, no money lol or else Babystiva would become not only the first carb'd auto, but the first carb'd auto 4-speed
                  No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                    Thanks Rocketman,Wikpedia doesnt tell me much.But it sounds like Mazda even made a high output unit for Toyota. I'm also wondering does it use a seperate ecm for the shifts.Or does the EGT/ Bp 1.8L ecm incorporate that-
                    I believe the automatic Capri has a seperate PCM computer in-dash, I know the auto capri has its own special wire harness. It's been a long long time since I've poked around one, it had two or three connectors on top of the trans though

Okay I found some pics from many years ago, this was the auto I pulled out of my parts car. Not sure if the pics help, lol

I think it's the differentials that are so problematic on these. I've seen several which have appeared to lost the bearings on the side & eat into the case

Rocketchips!

Comment

Is it only the auto trans that does this, or do the manuals have the same problem?
                      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

I believe the automatic Capri has a seperate PCM computer in-dash, I know the auto capri has its own special wire harness. It's been a long long time since I've poked around one, it had two or three connectors on top of the trans though

Okay I found some pics from many years ago, this was the auto I pulled out of my parts car. Not sure if the pics help, lol

I think it's the differentials that are so problematic on these. I've seen several which have appeared to lost the bearings on the side & eat into the case
                        Thats good info Rocket. So the NA Capri also came with this Tranny? I wonder does it get its Inputs from the ECM? Or seperatly from the CPS & MAPS etc?

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                          Is it only the auto trans that does this, or do the manuals have the same problem?
                          I was talking specifically about the automatic. I've never seen a manual do that, just explode due to the weak differential

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                          Thats good info Rocket. So the NA Capri also came with this Tranny? I wonder does it get its Inputs from the ECM? Or seperatly from the CPS & MAPS etc?
                          Not sure. Like I said, I think it has its own computer module - I'll try to verify. The ECU AFAIK only manages the engine
                          Last edited by Rocketman; 11-08-2011, 12:00 PM.

Rocketchips!

Comment

I was talking specifically about the automatic. I've never seen a manual do that, just explode due to the weak differential

Not sure. Like I said, I think it has its own computer module - I'll try to verify. The ECU AFAIK only manages the engine
                            Ok Sounds good-

Comment

Working...
                            X