Exhaust cut outs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust cut outs

Are AMAZING! I went for a drive up and down the street with the cut out closed and could barely spin the tires in 1st. A little later after working on the festiva I opened the cut out and some guy down the street said go for it. I launched in 1st, spun and shifted to second and spun a lot more(WOT since i'm not at the track) while on my drag radials. My first time making some real smoke

Even with a turbo back 2.5" exhaust, no cat and a muffler the cut out made a huge difference open on the "tire spinning dyno" and it's only 1.5" big.

It's super ghetto. Just 2" of 1.5" ID pipe welded onto the bottom of the downpipe with a plate I cut out to close it and two wing nuts holding the plate on. Cost $1.50 since I had to buy the bolts and nuts.

The track doesn't open for four more months but I think i'll be running mid 13's regularly. Thats pretty much it, i'm just really excited.
    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
    14 C7 Z51

thats awesome take some pics !!!!!! kinda trying to visualize it but i cant

Comment

yeah pics please, i dont fully understand what you are talking about.

ADMIN @ http://ironjuggernauts.com/forum.php?referrerid=1

Comment

There's some info and a picture of an electric setup. Imagine having that hooked up to a dashboard switch... that'd be so intense. Basically it's a valve you can install in your exhaust so that you can have a "track ready" exhaust at the flick of a switch (if electric) or turn of a valve/lever (if mechanical). The idea is that the car remains street legal, convenient to drive, and not too noisy from Monday to Friday... but that you don't have to go through the pain of uninstalling a street exhaust every time you head to the track.

You can sort of think of it like a separate wastegate dump tube... only for your entire exhaust rather than those times when you're rocking out high boost. Of course, you can't cut out the weight of a cat-back system when you're using a cutout... but the convenience factor is so great for grocery getter monster cars. And indeed... the power improvement levels are dramatic by comparison... assuming you can handle the noise and the welding required to install this sort of thing.

They're a little bit controversial though for two main reasons. The first is because they often times leak if the setup isn't kept in good condition or well constructed... I've seen many shabby junkyard chop'n'welds that just leak exhaust gas and create noise most of the time. Another concern I've read about somewhat across the Web is that people tend to get in a little bit of trouble with the authorities because they will get greedy on the highway sometimes and open'er up for a rip or two. Obviously, with a sleeper or slammed car, it's going to be practically impossible for a police officer to identify you have a cutout installed... but it's good to stay conscious of the fact that driving around the boulevards and grocery store parking lot with your dump tube open is a pretty dumb idea.

One popular system I've seen is that people convert throttle bodies into the valves, because they are often the same/similar size. Thus, people will hook up a throttle body to a splitter pipe... and from there, all that needs doing is either to turn the butterfly valve into something easy to switch/turn or to hook it up to a small lever in the cabin somewhere alternatively. That's a remarkably cool way to do it in my opinion... especially considering how affordable B3 throttle bodies are.
        1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
          High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
          Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

^ Matt, I think I saw one of those in a head shop in Vermont once! Where do you put the screen? Lol. That's pretty creative! I like it!
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by festyfreak39 View Post
              thats awesome take some pics !!!!!! kinda trying to visualize it but i cant
              Originally posted by pyrothehitman View Post
              yeah pics please, i dont fully understand what you are talking about.
              I'll get some pics and maybe a video up tomorrow but i'll tell you guys right now it doesn't hold a candle to an electronic one or even a throttle body one but it works!
              14 C7 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                ^ Matt, I think I saw one of those in a head shop in Vermont once! Where do you put the screen? Lol. That's pretty creative! I like it!
                The bowl bolts to the flange at the top!

My goal with the system was to have a active, cabin controlled exhaust. But I did *not* want a cutout- so I have a muffler "bypass" if you will, I wanted it to all exit the same place.
                There's a big difference in volume and tone, especially WOT. I'll have to get a video of it sometime. Much more agressive open, it's 2.5" mandrel bent from the turbo back. Big performance difference as well, turbo is much more responsive and breathes so much more in upper RPM. I suspect part of that is my 90° junction to the muffler.
                Last edited by Rocketman; 12-09-2011, 03:00 AM.
                1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Better late then never. The reason it's dirty is cause I broke one of bolts coming out of the driveway straight instead of sideways and had to weld another on.

And I can weld good it's just that my $80 welder can't do thin stuff unless it's thick to thin.

Reallyyy ugly
                  14 C7 Z51

Comment

Holy homemade, Batman!
                    91GL BP/F3A with boost
                    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

First time hearing of this concept, yours looks decent and gets the job done, +rep for effort!
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

haha i knew what an exhaust cutout was, i just wanted to see what on earth got done as per his description.

Comment

I put a 2.5" summit cutout in mine, after the flex pipe, but before the 2.5x30 glasspack I put in at the same time. Pretty easy to reach too. Works well. Costed more than his though.
                          91GL BP/F3A with boost
                          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

a buddy of mine had one on his fully fully fully bulit race gas 15-1 comp neon and he rigged it up with a throttle body and a cable hidden in the glovebox

Comment

nice job grey vw!
                              Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Working...
                              X