Hydro G-series with chris's adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydro G-series with chris's adapter

First off my main question is does anyone know the force out takes to push/pull the clutch fork in a hydro g-series? I want to know this before I suggest something stupid
    -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
    -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Originally posted by bobbyspider View Post
    First off my main question is does anyone know the force out takes to push/pull the clutch fork in a hydro g-series? I want to know this before I suggest something stupid
    The force to move the fork on the tranny will be the same Hydro/Cable. They just have dif methods to move them. If you have a stock tranny/eng laying around. Just measure the pull force with fishing weight scale. This will be very close to doing the same on a g series.
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Dude.....I wanna go where you are fishin!!!!
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I love fishing !!! Let's take my boat!
        -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Yeah Mark, I remember seeing a pole in a picture you posted of your gauges, I thought to myself, "that boy loves him some fishing". Lol

Sorry, done thread jacking.

What crazy idea do you have man? I'm interested.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Lol. Yea I wondered about the fish scale because I know the clutch fork takes quite a but of presser to move, plus I think I'd have to ramset the trans to the ground so it wouldn't move.

Anyway heres my idea: on chris s hydro/cable adapter instead of using a thru bolt to connect the adapter to the shift fork to pull it use a spring with the appropriate tension. Lets say it takes 100lbs of tension to move the fork then maybe a 150lb spring would feel good. It would pull the fork and then allow you to continue to push the clutch pedal giving it a softer and more cable clutch like feel. Plus you would have more adjustability on clutch engagement. Maybe I'm over thinking this a bit
            -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
            -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Ha,I totally wasnt thinking about how much force would be required.drool Using a spring sounds like it would work. Are you worried about over travel? Is that why you want to use a spring?

Comment

The problem with the adapter is getting the pedal feel just right, i know my pedal is pretty stiff but as soon as I try modifying it to make it softer, the pedal couldn't travel far enough for the clutch operate properly

I've modified mine several times to get the pedal softer and it's not too bad now, especially compared to the first one I ever built

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

i am using a very long custom built cable with my own bracket. one end attaches to the pedal the other to the clutch fork itself(which is the hook end tip of the cable trans welded directly to the tip of the hydro clutch fork) . my clutch feels smooth but it may just be that the cable is still brand new.
                  I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

My pedal is way stiff and makes it hard to shift especially power shift especially especially with a stupid short shifter which I hate any way

Comment

Im just thinking the spring will allow the pedal to disengage the clutch them allow it to continue to the floor at a softer rate and would just feel better on the leg altogether

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyspider View Post
                        Im just thinking the spring will allow the pedal to disengage the clutch them allow it to continue to the floor at a softer rate and would just feel better on the leg altogether
                        It sounds like it'll work if you find a heavy enough spring. So that the spring dont stretch at all till the clutch is fully disengaged.

Comment

^exactly

Comment

To me that sounds like it wouldn't help make the pedal feel softer at all

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

It's still going to take the same amount of force to disengage the clutch, the spring is just going to make your engagement/pedal feel/response more vague feeling.

if you want less pedal effort, you could mess with the pivot point/moment arm sizes - work on a different ratio. Less effort will mean more travel to achieve the same thing, though
                              1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                              High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                              Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Working...
                              X