Garrett GT1752 for a B3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garrett GT1752 for a B3?

I've already bought the turbo, it was $60 and change from the local wreckers. Spotted it on the way out from buying some nice T-tops and half a dozen IACV's for the Camaro (completely different story).

Anyway, I can't find a "true" compressor map for the GT1752, but it's a cute little thing, and I wondered if it would be useful on the B3. Here's an "estimated" map I found, if that'll help anyone. (The turbo is from a Saab 2.3)

Of course, it also begs the question of whether or not it'd be OK on a EGT 1.8, as well (B8, right? Forgive me.)

Also, mine has a 53mm inlet housing, and .47 A/R exhaust housing. The numbers are stamped on the turbo.
    Last edited by Christ; 03-24-2012, 06:49 PM.

one, don't expect those efficiency numbers to be anywhere close, and two, what did you pull the turbo out of?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

OPTIMAL is only 150 to the tire through a manual trans @ 14PSI.
      1989 Carby L: Stock. Slow.
      1998 Mustang Cobra: ported heads, cams, longtubes, 4.30 gears
      2016 Focus ST: daily driven go-kart

Comment

That seems to be rather large for a B3; more like a BP or larger size I'd think. It was on a 2.3 after all.

I did a little research on the Garretts, and think the GT1241 would be ideal for the B3. But since you have it, you could sell/trade it, save it for another project, or even just try it on the B3.
        Last edited by TominMO; 03-24-2012, 08:18 PM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I actually was considering using it on my 1.6L Diesel, which is why I bought it. Problem with that is that I expect the 1.6L to make just over 200HP after pump mods, etc, and 200+ is probably going to turn this thing into a tiny hair dryer.

Would it work for the 1.8L? I don't expect to put down retarded power w/ the Festiva, but a good 10:1 p/w or slightly better would be nice.

Comment

Don't expect it to work as well on a diesel engine though since they don't rev as high as gas engines, not saying it won't work, just that you may not get the full potential from it using it on a diesel

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
              Don't expect it to work as well on a diesel engine though since they don't rev as high as gas engines, not saying it won't work, just that you may not get the full potential from it using it on a diesel
              My VW 1.6 revs factory 4.5k, and can handle up to 7k on stock internals. It's a "Different" kind of diesel from what you're thinking of.

Also, a diesel is always running at 100% throttle. It's nicer than flooring a gasser, because there's no throttle plate in the way. My 1.6 will seriously turn that thing into an overspun pile of bearings and metal after only light mods.

Comment

I will take your word for it :lol: i really don't know tooooo much about diesels

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

You're thinking of the older IDI style stuff, like truck motors. They have almost totally flat torque curves and only rev to 2-3k because the internals are sooooo heavy.

As far as flow goes, diesels (except the retarded throttled diesel designs) operate without a throttle valve. The engine speed, power output, and fuel consumption are determined by load and fuel application. They're always running lean, sometimes as lean as 100:1 in some cases.

If you imagine that an N/A engine could be at 100% VE, a diesel would be there from idle to redline. Obviously, because it's not a continuously variable valvetrain, it doesn't /actually/ do that, but it's as close as you're gonna get. The intake tract is a pipe that leads to the valves, no restrictions (except casting, etc.).

So my VW motor, at idle, is pulling in close to 400cc per intake stroke, and at redline, is still pulling close to 400cc per intake stroke.

Comment

^

So what your saying is a cummins turbo deisel rated for 600 hp is putting out 600 hp @ 800 rpm and at 2800 rpm?

I don't understand this lol..
                    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

On topic, I'm reading about ppl using these turbos on Mini 1.3's (1250cc) and being able to make 150-185HP at 15PSI. That sounds like love, to me.

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                        ^

So what your saying is a cummins turbo deisel rated for 600 hp is putting out 600 hp @ 800 rpm and at 2800 rpm?

I don't understand this lol..
                        No, I'm saying a Cummins 4BT is sucking in approx 1L per cylinder at 800RPM as well as 2800 RPM. This is, of course, without the turbo. Engines don't make power if they're not under load. They only make enough power to maintain their current speed. So when you floor your B3 at a redlight, you're not making 90HP (whatever the number is), you're making maybe 16 at redline, which is what it takes to keep the engine spinning that fast.

A diesel's power is controlled by fuel consumption, not by air restriction. When you put the pedal down in a diesel, it's just adding more fuel to the cylinder that's already full of air. They don't mix in the intake passage like a gasser, diesel is either directly injected to the chamber at the end of the compression stroke, or like with my IDI VW engine, injected into a secondary chamber just above the combustion chamber to start the ignition process and expand into the combustion chamber.
                        Last edited by Christ; 03-24-2012, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Also on topic, the Saab that this turbo came from is a 2.0, not a 2.3,and it's rated for 150HP factory. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine using it on the 1.3, and possibly even on a BP, even though it'll probably start spooling below 2k RPM.

One of the people I read about using it said it was starting to spool nicely at 2400 RPM on a 1.3.

Comment

Good info in here.
                            91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                            14 C7 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by Christ View Post
                              Also on topic, the Saab that this turbo came from is a 2.0, not a 2.3,and it's rated for 150HP factory. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine using it on the 1.3, and possibly even on a BP, even though it'll probably start spooling below 2k RPM.

One of the people I read about using it said it was starting to spool nicely at 2400 RPM on a 1.3.
                              It wouldn't be that good for a BP, dude. The BP motor inhales a lot more air than a B3, you'd gas that turbo out fast.
                              1989 Carby L: Stock. Slow.
                              1998 Mustang Cobra: ported heads, cams, longtubes, 4.30 gears
                              2016 Focus ST: daily driven go-kart

Comment

Working...
                              X