FMS cam specs......coming soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMS cam specs......coming soon

I just ordered one of these little beauties. I hope to have it sometime this week. With a little luck, a calculator and my dial indicator, I should be able to map out the FMS competition spec cam....and we can finally get some answers on what these things really are.

I won't be doing it on the motor, but I figure I should be able to just do it with the head sitting on the workbench and attach the wheel directly on the cam bolt and double the readings. Actual crank position shouldn't matter, since right now, all I'll be looking at is lift, duration and overlap. I can always line up the 12:00 & 3:00 marks on the cam sprocket and get pretty darn close in terms of actual timing events and crank position. After I install the head, I'll actually "degree" it and get more specific/accurate. I have a pretty good idea of how I plan to adjust it using the stock sprocket.

If anyone has any ideas or recommendations, I'm all ears (or eyes in the case of internet forums) :p
    Last edited by blkfordsedan; 04-09-2012, 05:28 PM.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Finally!
    It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Had to switch brands due to a problem with the order. The new wheel is shipping tomorrow, so I hope to have it by Monday. Should be able to mess with it the following weekend. Its been 3 years since I bought the cam, I guess I can wait another week. I think I'll do a factory cam for comparison.
      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

3 years and you haven't got the part?!
        In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
        There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

LOL, no.....I bought the FMS cam about 3+ years ago. It's been sitting on my garage shelf ever since, waiting for a nice B6 to put it in. Like everyone else, I never received a cam spec card with it. FMS evidently doesn't know what the specs are, or doesn't want to tell anyone.
          Brian

Comment

Any progress with this?
            Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
            93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
            91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
            93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
            15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
            88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Nothing yet. I've been in Aberdeen SD all week on business. I should be back home tonight' and hopefully the degree wheel showed up.
              Brian

Comment

Yes! The degree wheel finally arrived! Earlier this week I picked up a couple light weight compression springs from Home Depot to use as psudo valve springs for testing. I got a lot of stuff to do this weekend, but with a little luck, I should be able to mess with it and come up with some numbers!!
                Brian

Comment

Aberdeen....that was passing by me on your way. Didnt fms have 2 cams a street and a race? Which one you checking? I have a race one.
                  Ford Fester

Comment

More or less patiently waiting for an update.
                    It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Yeah, I was at the new (under construction) Northern Beef plant in Aberdeen, checking out their conveyor systems. Lovely weather there this week.........if you're a duck.

I have the FMS "competition" cam, which is the more street-able grind with a slightly noticable idle and 2500-redline RPM range. From what I understand, the "Race" grind has a fairly rough idle and 10:1 recommended minimum compression. I'll measure both a stock Festy EFI cam and the FMS cam I have. I could also do their "race" cam, if someone has one they would like to send me.
                      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by muscle_Car1 View Post
                        More or less patiently waiting for an update.

I promise, I'll put it at the top of my "to do" list this weekend.........right below everything my wife wants me to do . I'm pretty excited about being able to mess with it, but the wife doesn't share the same enthusiasm or appreciation for camshaft specifications and design.
                        Brian

Comment

Would be great info to have, as a jumpoff point. If we know the numbers we can get a turbo grind made that has similar degrees as stock for no overlap but with more lift.
                          1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

I didn't get a chance to mess with it this weekend (busy doing yard work), but I brought all my tools, head, cam, valvetrain, etc. to work today. As time allows, I'll get everything set up in my office and should be able to mess with it this week.
                            Brian

Comment

So....got some preliminary measurements. I need to do some more messing around with the set-up and get some valve timing events nailed down. It's a little confusing using the wheel on the camshaft and not the crank, LOL. You really have to think and double the wheel reading, then correlate it to the nearest TDC or BDC. I need to assemble the rocker shafts and take some lift and duration measurements at the valve. I also plan on doing a graph of the lobe curb, as these are assymetrical lobe designs. Anywho....here's what initial testing came up with:

Intake Duration = 237* @ .050"
                              Exhaust Duration = 209* @ .050"

NOTE: Don't take these as gospel yet. These figures are subject to more precise testing and may change!!!
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X