No announcement yet.

FMS cam specs......coming soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought they were supposed to be new grinds as well. I'll measure the base circle again when I pull the cam back out. The run-out on the base circle is pretty good, like <.001". I was thinking about the Aspire cam as the base if I was to ever have a custom re-grind made. The roller followers may allow for more agressive ramps....as well as being more compatable with modern oil. Neither Crane nor Comp Cams said they could do a custom re-grind. Comp Cams suggested going to Web Cams.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
      Before we dig into this any deeper, there are a couple things we need to place in context.

FIRST: OHC "follower" type cams play by different rules than the traditional OHV V8 design. In the OHV design, you have the lifter that is captured by the lifter bore in the block. The lifter can only travel in one plane, and it's contact point with respect to the centerline of the camshaft never changes. This makes measuring and mapping an OHV camshaft relatively easy. The stylus of the dial indicator can be positioned on the pushrod, or in the pushrod seat of the lifter, and measurements can be derived with a minmum of geometrical error. A .050" lift at the tappet (lifter) equates directly to a .050" lift at the pushrod end of the rocker arm. The rocker arm ratio does not come into play except for measuring maximum valve lift. In the case of the OHC "follower" design, the cam lobe acts directly on the pad of the rocker arm. The lobe ramp makes contact with the follower pad on the leading edge and continues across the face of the pad until exiting at the opposite end. The contact area changes in relation to the rocker arm shaft (pivot point). The result is a variable rocker ratio.....from high to low or low to high....depending on if it's the Intake or Exhaust (which are on different sides of the cam).

This makes it extremely difficult to measure duration at a given value of lobe lift and be able to correlate it directly to the "standard .050" value that we use on OHV V8 engines. You can not get a good reading by setting the dial indicator on the rocker arm, since the motion of the rocker arm pad is in an arc, which introduces geometrical errors as well. Running the dial indicator directly on the cam lobe can be used for determining duration, but there are two problems with this method:

A) The lobe profile geometry does not correlate to that of an OHV lobe.
      B) The valve timing events can not be accurate. They change, depending on the angle and position on the cam at which you measure.

Because of this, most measurements were taken on the face of the valve (from the combustion chamber side). To derive the duration and timing events at ".050" lobe lift", I converted it to .087" valve lift, based on a constant rocker arm ratio of 1.75:1 which is the ratio at max valve lift. This is not 100% accurate, but I figure should be pretty darn close. I spoke with Engineers from both Crane & Comp Cams this morning, and they confirmed my theory and method.

I also found that Sealed Power advertises their stock replacement cams as being 205* duration at .050" lobe lift. When I measured the stock cam, I found that I had to be at ~.0325" valve lift to achieve 205*. For reference and comparison, I measured the FMS cam at .0325" valve lift as well. I also took measurements for "seat-to-seat" and .004" valve lifts to represent what is commonly listed as "advertised" duration......which means absolutely nothing. Which brings us to....

SECOND: Duration without any kind of lift specification at which it was taken means nothing. Lazy lobe ramp angles, especially at the transition from the base circle, have a huge effect on "advertised" duration with little effect on actual flow. Comparing the seat-to-seat duration and .050" duration can give you good indication of how aggressive a cam profile is. The point is this...do not judge a cam's performance based on "advertised" duration. For a detailed explanation, you can follow the link I gave earlier in this thread.
      Sorry to be a pain in the ass and all that, is there a diagram similar to the picture for the FMS camshaft at all. it's just good to have these as a visual knowledge is all.
      Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
      Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
      Highway - 7.32L/100km
      City - yet to be determined.

Comment

Not sure what your asking. Send me a PM and I'll try to help. Keep in mind that I am far from being an expert on any of this and my methods are crude at best. This whole experiment was as much for fun and my own learning as anything. Up to this point, we had no idea of the specs on the FMS cam (since no one has ever received a spec card). This at least gives us a reasonable idea of what we have.
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Found these (and 3 others that are similar) and was thinking, is there an equivalent for our little beasties?

Sorry to OP for the slight hijacking.. I thought it was only fitting to add this in as its about custom/modified camshafts...

Avg Economy:
          Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Found these (and 3 others that are similar) and was thinking, is there an equivalent for our little beasties?

Sorry to OP for the slight hijacking.. I thought it was only fitting to add this in as its about custom/modified camshafts...

Avg Economy:
            Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Awesome, I just picked one of these from Yelo Festiva a couple days ago. He told me that someone had the specs on the Forum. Can't wait to put it in!
              "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
              sigpic
              "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
              "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
              "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
              "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
              https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Working...
              X