No announcement yet.

BP deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are making an issue out of a non issue. That small amount of pitting will not cause you any problems. By excessive scrubbing with a scotch bright pad or attempting to surface the deck with sand paper you will, however, create a major problem, not only by creating an irregular deck, even if you think you are being careful, there is no way to keep particles of abrasive from getting in the ring lands & in the vertical oil returns. If this happens, your bearings will get wiped out with in minutes after start up. Do yourself a favor, use a stock type replacement gasket with light coating of copper hi-tach spray, as previously suggested.
    PROPOGATE! AND FACILITATE!

Comment

Nice to hear from you again, Matt! Welcome back!

I agree, no cleaning/scraping/grinding work should ever be done when the engine is assembled (if it can be avoided). Assembly should be the very last thing, immediately after the entire block, oil passages, components, etc. have been thoroughly scrubbed clean and dried.
      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
      62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
      Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

well.. one way or the other, it's done, I really appreciate the help, we'll see what happens. I had a rag in all the cylinders, but your right, there probably was some abrasive material from the sandpaper that escaped in the oil holes. I can't do anything about that now, so lets just hope it works.
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
          well.. one way or the other, it's done, I really appreciate the help, we'll see what happens. I had a rag in all the cylinders, but your right, there probably was some abrasive material from the sandpaper that escaped in the oil holes. I can't do anything about that now, so lets just hope it works.
          Flush the engine before you start it. That will get most of the grit out. If you haven't out the head on yet, do it now, and clean the oil ports with pipe cleaners or bore brushes.

Comment

no its too late, the head is on, I cleaned the block as thoroughly as i could after it came back from the machine shop.. FWIW, i did chase all the holes with a q-tip to make sure there wasn't anything in there before i put the head on.
            Last edited by zoom zoom; 05-02-2012, 03:47 PM.
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Working...
            X