Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since we can't get different speedo gears, what trans swap will allow bigger wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since we can't get different speedo gears, what trans swap will allow bigger wheels?

I've done a search, but it's giving me a headache.

Rio trans, EGT trans,.... what 5-speed would get me into a taller tire and still read correctly?
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

the speedo can be recalibrated.... just need to know the revs per mile and the ring gear ratio.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

You would swap trannies just to have an accurate speedo?

Comment

I've been wondering about this, too. I'm ocd about having an accurate speedo. I was kinda hoping I'd be able to go with a taller tire when I get around to the f swap. Anybody got numbers handy for the ring gear? I can count teeth on an e later this evening.

Sent from the bathroom via crapatalk.
        91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
        92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
        95 Grand Prix SE DD
        Wife's Stuff:
        89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
        97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
        Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

I have a g series. With the capri speedo drive. I run 195/50r 15 and my speedo is within 1 mph @ 75mph
          -Greg
          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
          Redneck Engineer
          FOTY - '09
          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

My speedo is dead on

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

The speedometer will read whatever the cable says to read. The solution would be an electronic sender and gauge. If you're running a tire way outside of specification, there aren't many ways to molest the reading without it.
              Last edited by DON SVO; 06-26-2012, 06:01 PM.
              1989 Carby L: Stock. Slow.
              1998 Mustang Cobra: ported heads, cams, longtubes, 4.30 gears
              2016 Focus ST: daily driven go-kart

Comment

So no one knows the answer?

I have to type out a big long explanation of what I want to possibly do?

EGT's came with 14's. Rio's have, what, 15's? I know people have put them in Festivas.

12" tires suck for longevity.
                1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                2005 Accord - wife's DD
                2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

You do realize that rim size does not effect the speedo right? its the total tire diameter that matter, so a 15" rim with a low profile tire can potentially be shorter then a 13" rim with a tall tire on it

So it's all in a matter of what tire size you have for the rim you install

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Sorry, I meant tires. The few 12" tires you can get are nothing like the 80k tires on my Sport Trac. It's looking like the Kumho's are MAYBE good for 20k. I don't want steel wheels and there are few 13, 14, and even fewer 15 inch tires similar in height. I'd like a better tire selection, therefore a larger wheel selection.

My only other alternative is to make a reduction gear box for the trans.

The nice thing about a trans swap is an engine swap.
                    2005 Accord - wife's DD
                    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
                      Sorry, I meant tires. The few 12" tires you can get are nothing like the 80k tires on my Sport Trac. It's looking like the Kumho's are MAYBE good for 20k. I don't want steel wheels and there are few 13, 14, and even fewer 15 inch tires similar in height. I'd like a better tire selection, therefore a larger wheel selection.

I'll put this out there...

I haven't had a speedo in either Festiva since 2008. I drive by the tach and know what speed I'm going based off that. Get whatever tires float your boat, drive by the tach.
                      1989 Carby L: Stock. Slow.
                      1998 Mustang Cobra: ported heads, cams, longtubes, 4.30 gears
                      2016 Focus ST: daily driven go-kart

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
                        I have a g series. With the capri speedo drive. I run 195/50r 15 and my speedo is within 1 mph @ 75mph
                        Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                        My speedo is dead on
                        So no one knows the answer?

I have to type out a big long explanation of what I want to possibly do?

EGT's came with 14's. Rio's have, what, 15's? I know people have put them in Festivas.

12" tires suck for longevity.
                        Two members gave you a valid answer. I'll be the third. A Capri xr2 trans (g5mr) will allow you to run a 22" outer tire diameter with the stock festiva gauge and cable and your speedometer will be just as accurate as it is stock. Mine is within 4 mph at 75mph but my tires are 21.5" tall. It says I'm going 4mph faster than I actually am. I'm pretty sure that the stock festiva tranny is closer with certain sizes of 13" wheels.
                        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Well, first you have to have a tach.

Second, my wife has no idea how to drive by the tach.

Third, I don't want to use a GPS.

Fourth, I'm not looking for another idea, I just want to know the answer to my original question.

I'm 45 and been dinking with cars ever since I could drive. In the old days you could just get a different speedo gear for the end of your cable where it went into the trans.

My current 5-speed has a cracked case where the end detent is by a PO. I'm looking at changing it. I found a BP and trans from a EGT with under 20k on it for $400.

The speedo is within 1 mph at 75, what about other speeds? I don't often drive at 75, my speeds are typically 25-55 and I deal with a lot of speed traps.

IIRC, Damkid has a guage swap.

I'd like to get closer to a 23" or 24" tire.
                          Last edited by Larry Hampton; 06-27-2012, 09:26 AM.
                          2005 Accord - wife's DD
                          2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

look up the tire sizes that were OEM for the EGT and then swap in an EGT speedo Head to match your trans and you will be all set.
                            89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
                            94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
                            2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
                            1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

How about a reduction gear box for your brain? If it's 2 MPH off at 50 then it would be one off at 25 and 3 at 75. It's all proportional.

Comment

Working...
                              X