Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-series Gasket CAD Files

Hey there everyone,

Sasquatch and I are looking into getting some phenolic spacers made for B-series motors (B6T/BP mainly), and to save on costs, we were wondering if anybody had any CAD files of the intake or throttle body gaskets on B-series motors? That way, we can run up to the machine shop with the files and the materials and reduce overhead costs should anybody want to purchase them off of us. The teflon serves as a decent sealant and I've heard of people opting to not run any gasket at all with some success as well.

These mods seem to be particularly useful in turbo and crowded engine bay applications, which would be wonderful for those of us swapped or running in warmer climates. The consensus seems to be that low end torque is gained from longer runners, and high end output is maintained in the cooler operating temperatures of the intake manifold and throttle body overall. These are quite popular with our 8-cylinder and 6-cylinder friends, so why not have some fun ourselves?
    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Well, the B6T runs a substantial amount of coolant through the intake manifold itself for the IAC and the heater core. The ECU's CLT is even plugged into the manifold. So I don't think you'd benefit much from that, without major coolant bypassing. I make a thermostat spacer block that can move all those fittings out of the manifold.

The BP doesn't use coolant in the manifold, it would be a good candidate. If you look around carefully you'll find phenolic spacers available for both the B6 and BP, for the Miata crowd. They've been using them for years
    1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
    High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
    Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
      Well, the B6T runs a substantial amount of coolant through the intake manifold itself for the IAC and the heater core. The ECU's CLT is even plugged into the manifold. So I don't think you'd benefit much from that, without major coolant bypassing. I make a thermostat spacer block that can move all those fittings out of the manifold.

The BP doesn't use coolant in the manifold, it would be a good candidate. If you look around carefully you'll find phenolic spacers available for both the B6 and BP, for the Miata crowd. They've been using them for years
      The Rocketman comes to the rescue once again. Cash/Paypal in hand for one of these thermostat spacers so long as you have pictures and installation instructions. I've got a guy making the spacer as we speak and sasquatch already has some Teflon I can purchase, so I'll go DIY and make a nice thick one! Sounds like a fun project though for sure.

Now I just have to figure out that SR20 Throttle Body swap...

Last edited by Aaronbrook37; 10-06-2012, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
        The Rocketman comes to the rescue once again. Cash/Paypal in hand for one of these thermostat spacers so long as you have pictures and installation instructions. I've got a guy making the spacer as we speak and sasquatch already has some Teflon I can purchase, so I'll go DIY and make a nice thick one! Sounds like a fun project though for sure.

Now I just have to figure out that SR20 Throttle Body swap...

http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/att...1&d=1287804743
        wow interesting, im wondering if that throttle body could fit on a miata!

Comment

Great question. I wish I had more junkyards closer to me so I could find out! Looks like the NX2000/Sentra SE-R/G20 all share the same throttle body.

Comment

Great question. I wish I had more junkyards closer to me so I could find out! Looks like the NX2000/Sentra SE-R/G20 all share the same throttle body.
            To answer one of your questions in the thread, the b6ze and b6T heads are identical, different cam shafts and the casting is a bit different but they are all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by festyfreak39 View Post
              To answer one of your questions in the thread, the b6ze and b6T heads are identical, different cam shafts and the casting is a bit different but they are all the same.
              Awesome, thanks FF! Any ideas on flow between the different kinds? I'd assume B6T would have the most aggressive in terms of flow/porting... maybe same valves though? Or perhaps they're all just the same. I think sasquatch has a spare for porting purposes.
              Last edited by Aaronbrook37; 10-10-2012, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Awesome, thanks FF! Any ideas on flow between the different kinds? I'd assume B6T would have the most aggressive in terms of flow/porting... maybe same valves though? Or perhaps they're all just the same. I think sasquatch has a spare for porting purposes.
                Sorry should have clarified.

The ports, springs, and valves are all the same. The casting is a bit different as in some of the shapes inside the head are a bit different.

The MX3 has a better flowing head but the best head is the b6zm from the 1998-1999 1.6L dohc protege. That head is beast.... the ports and design are great. Read somewhere someone made 300whp on one.

Ideally the best possible Frankenstein motor would be a b6ze bottom end and a b6zm top end, my guess is it would make 350-400 with GTX rods and the right turbo.

Comment

Sorry should have clarified.

The ports, springs, and valves are all the same. The casting is a bit different as in some of the shapes inside the head are a bit different.

The MX3 has a better flowing head but the best head is the b6zm from the 1998-1999 1.6L dohc protege. That head is beast.... the ports and design are great. Read somewhere someone made 300whp on one.

Ideally the best possible Frankenstein motor would be a b6ze bottom end and a b6zm top end, my guess is it would make 350-400 with GTX rods and the right turbo.
                  Win. Thanks bro! That's what I was looking for assuredly. Any issues bolting up the B6ZM to the B6T block? Coolant channels or whatever? I just had this head rebuilt about 600 miles ago give or take. I may be very interested in this upgrade down the road. Would I just use B6T cams inside the B6ZM head with all the same gaskets and internals recycled?

Comment

Gonna answer my own question here. Found pics from this thread on Miataturbo.net:

Build Threads - Hybrid B6/ZM-DE engine build - My 1.6 turbo build. The parts list as follows: Wiseco +1mm pistons and custom rings Carrillo A-beam rods ACL race bearings Supertech +1mm intake/exhaust valves Factory AT cams Ported head Polished and balanced crank Cometic head gasket ARP studs top and...

"The intake ports on the ZM-DE head measure 2.10 X 1.115 and are significantly higher from the deck surface and have a straighter shot to the valve than the B6 head. A visual comparison between the ZM-DE intake ports and the BP-4W intake ports indicates that they are almost identical (the ZM-DE is perhaps a little better due to the valve angles). The exhaust ports measure 1.7 X 1.065 and are visibly larger than the B6 ports and have a better transition at the port divider. "

Last edited by Aaronbrook37; 10-10-2012, 07:51 PM.

Comment

^^ Im still debating on what im going to do with the engine im rebuilding, chances are im going to just use a b6ze head.

Comment

^^ Im still debating on what im going to do with the engine im rebuilding, chances are im going to just use a b6ze head.
                        Roger that. I think I may port out a B6ZE head also. First though I need to come up with a solution to the intake and throttle bodies. If I can port out the stock intake manifold enough and throw on the SR20DE throttle body, then there should be enough air being pumped in and out to justify enlarging the ports and making some serious flow on the head by deleting casting imperfections and gasket matching to the manifolds and head. Might slow down my spool, but I won't care all that much given how nicely the motor would theoretically run. That's pretty far down the line though for me haha.

Comment

Sorry if I missed it, but can the ZM head fit on the B6D/T bottom end with work done to the oil passages? I'm very interested in this, are there links to more info?
                          1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                          High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                          Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Sorry if I missed it, but can the ZM head fit on the B6D/T bottom end with work done to the oil passages? I'm very interested in this, are there links to more info?
                            Build Threads - Hybrid B6/ZM-DE engine build - My 1.6 turbo build. The parts list as follows: Wiseco +1mm pistons and custom rings Carrillo A-beam rods ACL race bearings Supertech +1mm intake/exhaust valves Factory AT cams Ported head Polished and balanced crank Cometic head gasket ARP studs top and...

This is the only link I've found so far. There may be more out there, but that might do the trick! Looks too complicated for me to understand, but you're probably good for it!

Comment

Essentially its a direct fit with a long-noze b6 bottom end. Just need to use the timing gear from the ZM along with the timing belt and waterpump.

The problem with the ZM bottom end is its dumb low low low compression and tiny rods.

Comment

Working...
                              X