external wastegate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• external wastegate?

when re-clocking a turbo is it better to reuse the internal wastegate and make a new mounting bracket or just get an external? what are good brands of ewg's?

Tial is the de-facto brand. However, what manifold are you running? and how would you weld the external wastegate to it?

Comment

begi manifold which means that it would be a major pain to weld one onto it. Didnt quite think that one all the way through. Sounds like ill be making a new bracket

Comment

Originally posted by festivafeva View Post
        begi manifold which means that it would be a major pain to weld one onto it. Didnt quite think that one all the way through. Sounds like ill be making a new bracket
        Balllllllerrrrr! do you have pics of your setup? There is a way to weld to cast... Being its a begi manifold, its worth money and i wouldn't.

If you have ever seen turbo tom's yellow miata he took a taco taco turbo manifold and welded an external wastegate to it. Seems to have held up for him :|

Comment

Boom, see that? I really do wonder how well a weld like that will hold. Do we have any welding experts on the forum? I cant get a straight answer from anyone.

Comment

Charlie is a welding god. He does it everyday.
            Ford Fester

Comment

Re: external wastegate?

I believe chris is a welder too.
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

external wastegate?

^^yes ma'am

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

TiAL or go home.

Turbocharging can become real messy real quick when you use ebay crap.

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixSHO View Post
                    TiAL or go home.

Turbocharging can become real messy real quick when you use ebay crap.
                    The Tial part was never the question, it was the way that cast manifold was welded.

Darn i wish we could tag people on a forum like facebook. If this is possible, i would do this with my new turbo setup!

Comment

can anyone provide some wisdom with regards to welding external wastegates onto cast manifolds?

Comment

let a pro do it or you will just junk your manifold.... that is one thing i would let a pro do...
                        Last edited by sasquatch; 12-13-2012, 03:31 AM.

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                        1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Working...
                        X