Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stock Transmission is going out...Can I upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Transmission is going out...Can I upgrade?

Well it seems my transmission is starting to fail me. Recently it starting kicking the stick shift out of 4th gear. Soon I'll need to replace it, but I was curious if there is an upgrade I could switch to while I'm at it? I'm all for getting what's the best if my stock components are going out.

My car: 1992 L 5 speed.

If there isn't really an upgrade can I at least look for an Aspire transmission that would possibly have less miles on it? Tracking down a good used transmission with low miles is my best bet so I'm just curious if there is an upgrade or another transmission that my engine will accept besides just another Festiva 5 speed.
    -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
    Random Festiva Parts
    Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Re: Stock Transmission is going out...Can I upgrade?

Yeah, Aspire, Capri, Sephia... You just have to make new trans mounts for all 3.
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

So only the stock Festiva 5 speed is a direct bolt on? I'm not one for fabricating mounts...I barely have more than a ratchet and crescent wrench set!
      -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
      Random Festiva Parts

Comment

Yeah, Festiva trans is the only 100% fit.
        In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
        There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

My understanding is that Aspire mounts retained to go with an Aspire tranny will swap direct to a Festy. Haven't done it myself, mind you. Your top end is going to drop but acceleration will definitely improve as will speedo calibration if you're running taller tires.

Comment

So you are saying if I have the tranny from an Aspire...as long as it has the tranny mount it should bolt on?
            -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
            Random Festiva Parts

Comment

There really is no reason to "upgrade" the trans with a stock engine. Plenty of them go for hundreds of thousands of miles.
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

PRAFESTON: The Aspire has a differnt final drive ratio.Your gas mileage will suffer if you use it. Thats why I put Festy trannys in my Aspires. But they are hard to come across in good shape. You can swap your ring & pinion gear,but thats a whole nother story. But if you do find a good Spire tranny you will need the xmember & front/rear mounts (including the metal bracket ). I would purchase new rubber mounts because they are usually junk after all these years.And like Bert said your speedo is gonna be off slightly.
                Last edited by nitrofarm; 01-22-2013, 09:26 PM.
                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Sounds like sticking with the stock is the way to go. Now to locate a decent one for cheap!
                  -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                  Random Festiva Parts

Comment

Best of luck to you! I'm on the hunt for a stock Festy transmission, m'self. Found out from my Mechanic just today.

Comment

Originally posted by RazorWing View Post
                      Best of luck to you! I'm on the hunt for a stock Festy transmission, m'self. Found out from my Mechanic just today.
                      Looks like I have a source on a few. We'll see how it goes.
                      -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                      Random Festiva Parts

Comment

i have an aspire motor and trans in my 88. i used the stock cross member from the festiva and mount from the aspire, afaik. i did the swap a long time ago. but it all bolts together
                        Last edited by battleaxe; 01-23-2013, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RazorWing View Post
                          For the record Razorwing has an automatic. Thats what shes looking for.
                          Jerry
                          Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                          90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                          92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                          93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by battleaxe View Post
                            i have an aspire motor and trans in my 88. i used the stock cross member from the festiva and mount from the aspire, afaik. i did the swap a long time ago. but it all bolts together
                            I'm sorry but I have to disagree with that. The Festy front bracket is a 3 hole (Aspire is 4 hole). Also the Aspire front bracket moves the Rubber mount towards the drivers side by @ 1". I could see you using the stock festy xmember & front mount bracket (if you redrilled the bracket). I have pictures of all this but never posted because I didnt really think anyone would care.I just finished moding my setup so that it drops & lowers the motor/tranny @ 1.5" (festy tranny in an Aspire).
                            Last edited by nitrofarm; 01-23-2013, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Prafeston View Post
                              Looks like I have a source on a few. We'll see how it goes.
                              Hook me up please!!!!!! My college student son needs one for his festy badly!

Comment

Working...
                              X