G5MR Transmission Mount questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SiliconSoul View Post
    Thanks man! I think I just needed to be told, as Russian said, mounts are quite a black voodoo! I was hoping to find a nice blueprint of an engine mount(s) I could copy. Being original isn't ever easy.

I was going to take the time to draw mine out, but I wanted to make sure they worked first. At this pace methinks it may be a while before I add an automatic SHO in the rear...

-Tom
    So did you use the spray foam like I did?
    Of course that mount was scrapped since it didn't work but it was fun making a mold like that.
    Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

I almost used the spray foam. I think the trick with that would be to box in the area you are going to spray with cardboard and tuck-tape, and cover anything you don't want it to stick to with either a coating of something like cooking oil or plastic film.

But no, my cheap rear used cardboard that I kept cutting and fitting until the angle was right. The overall trick seemed to be being patient and install, fit, uninstall, modify, reinstall... repeat...

-Tom

* Just realized I can't edit my old post. Just wanted to clarify that when I had everything tacked together for the mount I had to uninstall the bolts on the crossmember, but not where it connects to the transmission housing. Once the cross member is out you can uninstall the mount and weld it up. (Slowly to keep the heat from melting the rubber) It is a tight fit to get the top bolt out of the crossmember housing, but you can easily elongate the crossmember access hole if required.
      Last edited by SiliconSoul; 04-09-2013, 10:56 PM.
      - Form should follow function...

Comment

Working...
      X