No announcement yet.

How loud is a straight pipe exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On my wife's aspire it has the cat for emissions and the stock resonator but I got rid of the stock muffler and went with a cherry bomb it sounds great and got a little more pep

Comment

On my B6, I have a flex pipe in place of the cat, and OEM pipe back to a cheapy OEM Walker SoundFX muffler. Wouldn't recommend it, a bit too buzzy, because the walker intermediate pipe doesn't have a resonator. But no droning.

Anyone ever used a Bosal OEM muffler? They are like twice the price of the Walker SoundFX.
      1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
      2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
      1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

I found my muffler on the side of the road.
        Tommy

WannaBimmer Build in Progress:
        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...-Festiva-Build

Comment

Originally posted by jason_ View Post
          I'll sum it up. Unless a whipping a turbine on the way out, any 4banger off the Manifold is going to sound gross.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
          My brother had a '98 cavalier we took the exhaust off right at the manifold and it sounded amazing just idling and revving lightly. But we had the whole car apart and not drivable at the time and after he put it back together we never got it started again... But it sounded amazing idling.
          Originally posted by tdk666 View Post
          On my wife's aspire it has the cat for emissions and the stock resonator but I got rid of the stock muffler and went with a cherry bomb it sounds great and got a little more pep
          I put a cherry bomb glasspack 2in straight through muffler on mine and i like the sound. No resonator after the cat on mine though, never had one when i bought it.
          Originally posted by Fecomatter View Post
          I found my muffler on the side of the road.
          Lol, thats awesome! Not rotted off some other vehicle i take it, any guess as to why it was there?
          I found a seat cushion wedge on the side of the road that i have been using for probably 6 years. Makes it so i sit higher up, kinda nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It honestly probably rotted off some other car lol, like to be on the side of the road, it definitely fell off of someone's car. Probably the sleeve that it was mounted with rotted and then if fell off. My guess. It keeps the BPT really quiet. It's for something with larger exhaust. I made it work lol.
            Tommy

WannaBimmer Build in Progress:
            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...-Festiva-Build

Comment

I had done this with no cat or resignator, and it was a headache from hell. But I later added a muffler and it helped a lot! Engine performance increased with the straight pipe, but fuel economy took a huge hit with the cat and back pressure gone, and it was all done with 2 inch pipe.

Comment

Working...
              X